Muir Trail Ranch- When do you mail the bucket?

  • Jim W
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      It's hard to believe I'm starting in less than 6 weeks. I still
      haven't chosen or bought a backpack or stove. Still don't have
      anything approaching a meal plan. Not a big deal except I need to
      mail a bucket to Muir Trail Ranch.

      Anticipated arrival date at MTR is August 17. MTR says get it to them
      two to three weeks before expected arrival. Since they suggest 2 day
      priority mail, I guess sending it July 26 should be fine. Any
      comments?

      Jim
      Aug 10 JMT start
    • josh0322
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi Jim
        If it literally says "2 to 3 weeks" i would round up to 3 weeks and
        send it 2-day. You should definitely be in the clear that way...

        Josh

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim W" <jimqpublic@...> wrote:

        > It's hard to believe I'm starting in less than 6 weeks. I still
        > haven't chosen or bought a backpack or stove. Still don't have
        > anything approaching a meal plan. Not a big deal except I need to
        > mail a bucket to Muir Trail Ranch.
        >
        > Anticipated arrival date at MTR is August 17. MTR says get it to them
        > two to three weeks before expected arrival. Since they suggest 2 day
        > priority mail, I guess sending it July 26 should be fine. Any
        > comments?
        >
        > Jim
        > Aug 10 JMT start

      • Paul England
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
          Hi Jim - I'm with Josh. I mailed my bucket to MTR three weeks before I expected to arrive and it was waiting there. Also, last year I mailed three buckets for some visitors from the UK less than two weeks prior to their arrival and they made it just fine. I was nervous about the short time span and called the info line for MTR and they assured me it would be fine. You have plenty of time to figure things out. Have fun planning your meals. A word to the wise - err on the side of having too much food. We sort of ran out and I had to mooch some food on the trail for two days until our final resupply with a friend in Vidette Meadow. I have a voracious appetite on the trail and I was just trying to travel too light!!
          paul

          josh0322 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          Hi Jim
          If it literally says "2 to 3 weeks" i would round up to 3 weeks and
          send it 2-day. You should definitely be in the clear that way...

          Josh

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim W" <jimqpublic@...> wrote:

          > It's hard to believe I'm starting in less than 6 weeks. I still
          > haven't chosen or bought a backpack or stove. Still don't have
          > anything approaching a meal plan. Not a big deal except I need to
          > mail a bucket to Muir Trail Ranch.
          >
          > Anticipated arrival date at MTR is August 17. MTR says get it to them
          > two to three weeks before expected arrival. Since they suggest 2 day
          > priority mail, I guess sending it July 26 should be fine. Any
          > comments?
          >
          > Jim
          > Aug 10 JMT start

        • Patt gray