Solo on the JMT

  • Jim W
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2008
      On 7/1/08, david <davidstockbridge@...> wrote:
      > ... Most of my family are concerned about
      > the solo aspect of the hike. But I'm looking forward to the combination of the meeting new
      > folks and the chance for some solitude.

      None of us will be solo on the JMT. Although you may hike alone and
      camp alone there will be dozens of fellow travelers passing any given
      point each day. From past experience the farther away from the
      nearest trailhead you get the more friendly and helpful your fellow
      travelers will be. If you fall and lacerate yourself 1/2 miles from
      Happy Isles you might have 100 people walk by without offering help.
      Top of Mather pass every person will. Carry a whistle just in case
      you fall down and can't get up 100 feet from the trail.

      Jim
      Aug 10 JMT start
    • josh0322
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2008
        This is really comforting to know. I'm hoping there'll be folks around
        who might want to camp with me or hike with me. 20+ days is a long time!