Re: Anyone SOBO from Happy Isles early August?

  • david
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
      Fellow Solo Pedestrian,
      I'm planning to leave Toulomne Valley on August 3rd or 4th (I'm going to try for a walk-
      up permit). I'll be bringing my fly rod, and take at least two zero days. I expect that you
      will zip past me as we ascend one of the passes. Most of my family are concerned about
      the solo aspect of the hike. But I'm looking forward to the combination of the meeting new
      folks and the chance for some solitude.
      David "stocky" Stockbridge
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, josh0322 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I'm wondering if there's anyone on this group who will be headed
      > towards Whitney starting around Aug.5
      > I will be leaving from the trailhead that day with my father but he
      > will be turning back a couple days later. I will continue on to
      > Whitney but would love to have some company.
      > Will there be many JMT thru-hikers out that I might be able to make
      > friends with?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Josh

    • e1705email
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
        LostHillsGuy Group,

        I have a schedule posted at TrailJournals.com. I really don't know
        how well I will do, but have planned to be a little slower than you.
        I will be fishing along the way, but have to average 10 miles per day
        with room for 3+ layover days at that pace. Am not exiting at
        Whitney, but continuing on the HST to end up on the Western side of
        the Sierras, so 30 days total. Sounds like a good plan, but then, so
        did a lot of others . .

        IF things go according to schedule, should arrive in YV around 2pm on
        the 5th. Will need to get wilderness permit, a fuel canister and a
        fishing license (at Curry village, I think). Did consider leaving
        right then and not waiting for a 'legal' start on the 6th (maybe this
        is allowed, I don't know). While I am prepared to hike at night, and
        enjoy it, a lot of scenery is missed in the dark, so may spend the
        night at Backpacker's camp and start early on the 6th. I don't
        remember ever going 'into' Yosemite park from the highway so this
        will have a first time feel to it. Don't want to miss out on good
        things by being in haste.

        Have learned some about you by googling 'losthillsguy'.

        Let the adventure continue.

        Walking in peace,

        Plan on hiking alone but look forward to
        > Hey H,
        >
        > The LostHillsGuy group is leaving H. I. on the 6th also. We are
        going to be staying in Curry the night before. What are your plans
        the night before?

        > What is your pace? We are doing the 21 day itinerary.
        >
        > Brian
        > LHG
        >

        > e1705email <df@...> wrote: Hi Josh,
      • josh0322
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
          David,
          I'm thinking about going at roughly the same pace. I'd love to stop
          and fish too...though I think I'll take a spin rod.
          I won't be "zipping" past anyone...at least not during the first half
          of the trip.

          -Josh

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "david" <davidstockbridge@...>
          wrote:

          > Fellow Solo Pedestrian,
          > I'm planning to leave Toulomne Valley on August 3rd or 4th (I'm
          going to try for a walk-
          > up permit). I'll be bringing my fly rod, and take at least two zero
          days. I expect that you
          > will zip past me as we ascend one of the passes. Most of my family
          are concerned about
          > the solo aspect of the hike. But I'm looking forward to the
          combination of the meeting new
          > folks and the chance for some solitude.
          > David "stocky" Stockbridge
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, josh0322 <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > > I'm wondering if there's anyone on this group who will be headed
          > > towards Whitney starting around Aug.5
          > > I will be leaving from the trailhead that day with my father but he
          > > will be turning back a couple days later. I will continue on to
          > > Whitney but would love to have some company.
          > > Will there be many JMT thru-hikers out that I might be able to make
          > > friends with?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Josh

        • Drew
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
            My hiking buddy and I are scheduled to depart on Aug 4th from Glacier
            Point.

            We are finalizing both our food Cache and zero day choices. Should
            have a decision by the end of the week. I doubt we will be burning up
            the trail either, coming from sea level in the Northwest.

            The only true unknown at this point is if my previously torn calf
            muscle can withstand the trail..

            Once we hit our zero day (probably at VVR) you may catch up to us. If
            so, your welcome to join in. I'll post our most likely schedule by
            weeks end.

            HikingDrew