Re: [John Muir Trail] Finished on July 29th

  • Bill Hegardt
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1, 2012
      My experience last summer was different. After we got our resupply buckets at MTR I asked if they had any open cabins. They did and we enjoyed the wonderful food, hot pools, showers, laundry and bathrooms. Our tent/cabin had power, so recharging was no problem. Sent email to the wife, downed all the beer in our resupply buckets. Only stayed 1 night and then was back on the trail the next day. It was one of the highlights of the trip, though not cheap.

      - Bill

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1, 2012
        On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM, jdarwinfoltz <jdarwinfoltz@...> wrote:
        Muir Trail Ranch: Even-though, you spend $55 to send you bucket there don't expect to be allowed to cook, or use the restroom there. There discrimination/exploitation towards hikers is ugly. I would have rather carried extra food from VVR than to support there nonsense.

        Every year or two someone flames MTR about this.

        There's a good reason for the restroom restriction. They have a very limited septic field and allowing hikers to use it would pretty much ruin it for their paying guests.  They don't make any money to speak of from us - their conferences and groups (of very rich people paying very high fees, often) are the thing that makes them money and keeps the operation going. They help us out of affection and history.  Insulting them won't help keep them helping us out.

        The other thing they do for free is a lot of assistance of hikers in distress.  Whenever there is a SAR in the area, they pitch in.

        But if you want to carry food for an extra 20 miles, feel free.  I'd rather use them and recognize that they don't have to keep doing it.  If Karla, who has been involved at MTR since about age 3, ever sold the place (and she must be tempted when she's annually insulted) and the new owners didn't have her past, we'd have a way tougher resupply problem.

        John Ladd
      • cjoslyn99
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1, 2012
          Yes, they have power strips you can plug into. But unlike VVR, you need
          to provide the adapter.

          Re: some other comments. People shouldn't bag on Olive, she's cool and
          never gave anyone problems about getting a veggie etc. options (though
          they were limited). She's part of the color of the joint (like anyone
          that's been to Ed Debevic's in Chicago) and I've never seen her rude to
          anyone that wasn't playing the game w/ her.

          Only had breakfast at Reds and thought it was "ok". VVR breakfast was
          awesome and the Saturday BBQ is unbeatable.

          On MTR, I don't think it's fair to say they're discriminating against
          hikers. They're not as well positioned as places like VVR to offer the
          same level of services to thru-hikers and it's not their focus. Be
          glad they offer the resupply service at all, though personally , I'll
          probably skip the side trip to MTR (unless I'm staying there).

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Spencer Goodwine <sdgoodwine@...>
          wrote:

          > Will MTR even allow you to recharge batteries? I was banking on it as
          it
          > says it's fine on their website.

        • hamockhngr2002
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1, 2012
            Did using your iPhone drain the battery quickly?

            Sue
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy foltz <jdarwinfoltz@...> wrote:

            > The trail is terrible compared to the National Park Trails. I found
            > it hard to get a rhythm going until the final switchbacks. I think that
            > was because I was over anxious to see if my car was chewed up by bear.
            >
            > - I should add that you should be careful on the trail leaving Reds Meadow.
            > The signage leaves something to be desired.
            >
            > - Additional note. My buddy had the JMT App for his iPhone. Greatest
            > trail app of all time. Showed us where we were on a Tom Harrison Map.
            > Never Failed and we used it all the time.
            >

            > On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > "- DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DOWNHILL FROM WHITNEY. I Highly recommend
            > > and early start!"
            > >
            > > Very good advice. I camped the night before at Guitar Lake, and was out of
            > > the tent at 3:00 a.m., on the trail a little after 4, and at the summit at
            > > 8:38. I spent about an hour up there, and got to WP a little after 4 p.m.
            > > The only thing I remember about the descent is that it was hot, dry and I
            > > thought it would never end.

          • cjoslyn99
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 1, 2012
              I have the same app. Worked pretty well in terms of the GPS locating
              you on the map (much improved over last year I think).

              If I kept my phone in airplane mode except for when I was checkign the
              GPS, I normally got 2-3 days use before needing to recharge (assuming I
              wasn't otherwise using it heavily on battery intensive things...like
              lisetning to music a lot or taking lots of video).

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hamockhngr2002"
              <hammockhanger@...> wrote:

              > Did using your iPhone drain the battery quickly?
              >
              > Sue
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy foltz jdarwinfoltz@
              wrote:

              > > The trail is terrible compared to the National Park Trails. I found
              > > it hard to get a rhythm going until the final switchbacks. I think
              that
              > > was because I was over anxious to see if my car was chewed up by
              bear.

              > > - I should add that you should be careful on the trail leaving Reds
              Meadow.
              > > The signage leaves something to be desired.
              > >
              > > - Additional note. My buddy had the JMT App for his iPhone. Greatest
              > > trail app of all time. Showed us where we were on a Tom Harrison
              Map.
              > > Never Failed and we used it all the time.
              > >

              > > On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Ray Rippel ray.rippel@ wrote:
              > >
              > > > **
              > > >

              > > > "- DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DOWNHILL FROM WHITNEY. I Highly
              recommend
              > > > and early start!"
              > > >
              > > > Very good advice. I camped the night before at Guitar Lake, and
              was out of
              > > > the tent at 3:00 a.m., on the trail a little after 4, and at the
              summit at
              > > > 8:38. I spent about an hour up there, and got to WP a little after
              4 p.m.
              > > > The only thing I remember about the descent is that it was hot,
              dry and I
              > > > thought it would never end.

            • Jeremy foltz
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 1, 2012
                He only turned it on when a few times a day just to check where we are on the trail.

                On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM, hamockhngr2002 <hammockhanger@...> wrote:

                Did using your iPhone drain the battery quickly?

                Sue
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy foltz <jdarwinfoltz@...> wrote:

                > The trail is terrible compared to the National Park Trails. I found
                > it hard to get a rhythm going until the final switchbacks. I think that
                > was because I was over anxious to see if my car was chewed up by bear.
                >
                > - I should add that you should be careful on the trail leaving Reds Meadow.
                > The signage leaves something to be desired.
                >
                > - Additional note. My buddy had the JMT App for his iPhone. Greatest
                > trail app of all time. Showed us where we were on a Tom Harrison Map.
                > Never Failed and we used it all the time.
                >

                > On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > "- DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DOWNHILL FROM WHITNEY. I Highly recommend
                > > and early start!"
                > >
                > > Very good advice. I camped the night before at Guitar Lake, and was out of
                > > the tent at 3:00 a.m., on the trail a little after 4, and at the summit at
                > > 8:38. I spent about an hour up there, and got to WP a little after 4 p.m.
                > > The only thing I remember about the descent is that it was hot, dry and I
                > > thought it would never end.

              • Jeremy foltz
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 1, 2012
                  I wasn't bagging on her but more reporting what I saw.   I enjoyed it but thought she really went over the top with a man in front of her family.  Like I said I could handle it.   I will paraphrase so as not to offend anyone.   She told him to break a vertebrae in his back so he could perform oral sex on himself when he thought she skimped on the fries.

                  As far as MTR goes.   Sure they don't have to provide the service and I don't necessarily consider my comments a flame but they were rude.   Plain and simple. To say they aren't making any money off the hikers at $55 a bucket can't be true.     Sorry guys not trying to start another argument it was just how I see it and thought you were dismissing my comments as false.

                  wrote:

                  > Will MTR even allow you to recharge batteries? I was banking on it as
                  it
                  > says it's fine on their website.

                • Barbara Karagosian
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 1, 2012
                    Hi Jeremy,
                    A question about the JMT phone app - did your friend need to keep his iphone with the airplane mode turned off in order to use the app , or was he able to have the airplane mode turned on.  Using the phone with airplane mode on saves a major amount of battery.  Im taking mine but planning to use it for reading and music with airplane on.

                    Also, what a shame you had a bad MTR experience.  I've stayed there twice but never visited as a pass thru hiker.  I always found and observed Patt, who was dealing with resupplies, to be very kind, albeit slow, but not surprising due to her age and arthritis.  I knew beforehand, maybe from their website, that pass-thru hikers cannot use their facilities, but can get stuff from their store and can purchase laptop time, as well as charge electronics and get clean water. I understood the $55 to cover their costs for trucking resupply buckets up from Lakeshore to Florence Lake, handloading it onto the ferry, ferrying it across the lake, offloading it off the ferry and onto their truck at the other end and then making the hour trip to MTR (it's a very very rough 5 miles trail).  Then storing it in their bearproof cabin.  They'll also return it to you if you dont make it, which VVR wont do.  One hiker arrived when I was there who had sprained his ankle badly.  After proividing first aid they  offered to drive him to the ferry in their truck (which normally only makes the trip twice a week), The only person there I found a bit irritable was one of the wranglers - but that can be a wrangler trait I

                    Thanks,

                    Barbara

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 1, 2012
                      Good perspective on MTR Barbara.

                      Hoping my next JMT (in a few years) is a Northbound so would probably use VVR anyways.

                      I am not sure but I think the GPS would not work on Airplane mode.    He really just turned it on found the location and turned it off.    We would look at my maps after that.      He had plenty of battery afterwards to talk to his wife once we made it to Lone Pine.     He had a rechargeble battery but never used.

                      I personally would love to ditch my camera, ipod, and GPS in favor of just carrying an iPhone.

                      On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

[...]

                    • Debra Podesta
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 1, 2012
                        I have stopped at MTR twice as a hiker only and they were friendly. I think the food is OK at Red's but much better at VVR and I agree that the signage out of Red's is tricky.
                        I am doing a section hike out of South Lake to Road's End this weekend so I will experience Parcher's Resort. Can't wait. I hear there are thunderstorms brewing.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 2, 2012
                              Like, John, my experience with MTR is all positive. We arrived on a day in which buckets had just arrived--the yard had more orange buckets than a Home Depo on Saturday morning. Our items were quickly retrieved. There was a picnic table available to sort items and a device to open the bucket. We had to ship some equipment back in a bucket, and they provided me with tape, an address label, and a place to work on it. The charge was a flat fee, which as I recall was reasonable.

                              I have emailed MTR with questions and always received a fast and helpful response.

                              Guessing what it must take to get that bucket from post office to the wilderness, I cannot imagine there is any profit in this venture. For $55 you can resupply with only a very minor detour off of the trail. I am very thankful MTR is willing to provide this service to hikers.

                              As for Olive, she is indeed a salty dog and could offend some. But when we are on the trail its all locker-room talk for us, so her colorful expressions just fit right in.

                              Herb

                              > On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM, jdarwinfoltz <jdarwinfoltz@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Muir Trail Ranch: Even-though, you spend $55 to send you bucket there
                              > > don't expect to be allowed to cook, or use the restroom there. There
                              > > discrimination/exploitation towards hikers is ugly. I would have rather
                              > > carried extra food from VVR than to support there nonsense.
                              >

                              > Every year or two someone flames MTR about this.
                              >
                              > There's a good reason for the restroom restriction. They have a very
                              > limited septic field and allowing hikers to use it would pretty much ruin
                              > it for their paying guests. They don't make any money to speak of from us
                              > - their conferences and groups (of very rich people paying very high fees,
                              > often) are the thing that makes them money and keeps the operation going.
                              > They help us out of affection and history. Insulting them won't help keep
                              > them helping us out.
                              >
                              > The other thing they do for free is a lot of assistance of hikers in
                              > distress. Whenever there is a SAR in the area, they pitch in.
                              >
                              > But if you want to carry food for an extra 20 miles, feel free. I'd rather
                              > use them and recognize that they don't have to keep doing it. If Karla,
                              > who has been involved at MTR since about age 3, ever sold the place (and
                              > she must be tempted when she's annually insulted) and the new owners didn't
                              > have her past, we'd have a way tougher resupply problem.
                              >
                              > John Ladd

                            • cjoslyn99
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 2, 2012
                                Hey, looks like you ran into Dirt Diva on Whitney and got pix of the
                                back of her legs?

                                She's the one doingthe YoYo?
                              • Jeremy foltz
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 2, 2012
                                  You nailed it.    She made it to Whitney at the same time I did.    I ended up walking down to the Portal with her friends.     They left at 2:30am to get up there and went back to San Jose to work the next morning at 7:30am.  Can you say work ethic?

                                  On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

                                  Hey, looks like you ran into Dirt Diva on Whitney and got pix of the
                                  back of her legs?

                                  She's the one doingthe YoYo?

                                • judy
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 27, 2012
                                    Hi - just finished a 2 week hike (Echo Summit --> Tuolumne) using iPhone as camera, video recorder, and e-reader -- worked very well! Turned off the location, data, etc and kept it on airplane mode. Used the XTG solar charger (3.7 oz) hacked to allow it to be affixed to the top of my hat (intended to attach it to pack strap or top of pack, but the angle was wrong). It is so light I didn't even notice it was there. Also as I tipped the hat to block the sun in my eyes, it automatically positioned the device to track the sun! We had lots of rainy and cloudy days, but there was enough sun in the mornings to keep both the iPhone and the charger fully charged. The XTG is available at Amazon for $26 (Prime eligible) --> http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Solar-Charger-Built--Windshield/dp/B00449U3K0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346071306&sr=8-1&keywords=xtg+solar+charger

                                    Judy

                                    > I personally would love to ditch my camera, ipod, and GPS in favor of just
                                    > carrying an iPhone.

                                  • Ron Dillon
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 27, 2012
                                      I also bought the kindle version of the Wenk guidebook and downloaded it to my iphone for use on the trail.
                                      Ron

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 27, 2012
                                        Hi - I also made pdf files of trail descriptions, maps, contact info etc and uploaded to iPhone - great weight-saver!

                                        Judy