GPS coordinates

  • Kevin Aston
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
      Matt completed the conversion of the Wenk waypoints. Realize as this
      is done that there was not any authorization from the author of the
      book to do this. I compared these waypoints with mine and found that
      most of them overlap, and it is really hard to read the names of the
      waypoint if you combine the files because many are in the same place.
      Please buy the Wenk book if you are using the Wenk coordinates, as
      they are part of this copyrighted book: "John Muir Trail: The
      Essential Guide to Hiking America's Most Famous Trail" advertised at:
      http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/data/EWenk_JMT.htm
      I have posted the Wenk .gdb on my site so you can compare only.
      http://www.kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html
      I plan on using just mine on my trip next week as they have all the
      data I need.
      Kevin
      www.kevinaston.com
    • Kevin Aston
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
        I had a request for th JMT .gdb without side trips or exit points.
        That is now posted on the same page.
        Kevn

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Aston" <kevin@...> wrote:

        > Matt completed the conversion of the Wenk waypoints. Realize as this
        > is done that there was not any authorization from the author of the
        > book to do this. I compared these waypoints with mine and found that
        > most of them overlap, and it is really hard to read the names of the
        > waypoint if you combine the files because many are in the same place.
        > Please buy the Wenk book if you are using the Wenk coordinates, as
        > they are part of this copyrighted book: "John Muir Trail: The
        > Essential Guide to Hiking America's Most Famous Trail" advertised at:
        > http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/data/EWenk_JMT.htm
        > I have posted the Wenk .gdb on my site so you can compare only.
        > http://www.kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html
        > I plan on using just mine on my trip next week as they have all the
        > data I need.
        > Kevin
        > www.kevinaston.com

      • e1705email
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
          Hi Kevin,

          Thank you (and Matt for the conversion) for putting up that link with
          the Wenk waypoints. I downloaded the file and opened it in Mapsource.
          Then highlighted all the waypoints wanted (the campsites) and copied
          them. Closed that file and opened the JMT file I will be using this
          summer, which contains all my notes etc., and pasted the campsite
          waypoints in.

          Looks great! I think it is a useful addition.

          Hey Matt. If you read this, I would still like to know how you did the
          conversion from Excel to Mapsource, if it is easily explained.

        • Matt Murray
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
            Hi,

            hmmm, the conversion process. It took hours of trial and error and I
            wish I could remember the magic combination. I'm pretty busy now with
            final prep for my Saturday departure to the valley for a monday trail
            start, but if I find the time, I'll post my instructions. The basics
            though, I exported from Excel, imported into Topo! and saved as
            a .tpg, then used GPSBabel!+ to convert to a .gdb file to open with
            Mapsource. I think...

            Matt Murray
            mhm@...
            San Francisco, CA

          • e1705email
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
              Hi Matt,

              Thank you for the response. I recognize you are busy getting ready,
              so am grateful for your note here. I don't have Topo! so would not be
              able to duplicate the procedure, should you be able to reproduce it.
              I am using the product of your previous labor via the .gdb file
              downloaded from Kevin's site. Having these campsites available is
              useful in planning for me. I am focusing on those near where I plan
              to camp and am also cutting and pasting the Wenk description into the
              waypoints.

              Aloha,

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Matt Murray <mhm@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > hmmm, the conversion process. It took hours of trial and error and
              > wish I could remember the magic combination. I'm pretty busy now
              with
              > final prep for my Saturday departure to the valley for a monday
              trail
              > start, but if I find the time, I'll post my instructions. The
              basics
              > though, I exported from Excel, imported into Topo! and saved as
              > a .tpg, then used GPSBabel!+ to convert to a .gdb file to open
              with
              > Mapsource. I think...
              >

              > Matt Murray
              > mhm@...
              > San Francisco, CA

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 30, 2008
                Hi all,

                I've been entering coordinates into my Garmin that look like: N36 48.201
                W118 24.155, for example. I'm trying to also use coordinates from the
                Sierra South book, by Moray & White, and in there they look like: 11S
                353042 4109671 (for example). It says that these are UTM data with
                meters east and meters north. Help! Does anyone know how to enter these?
                Thanks so much - Barbara

              • Derek Peters
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 30, 2008
                  Your GPS can display and use UTM coordinates if you change the setup menu.
                  Check out http://www.dbartlett.com/ for some info on UTM. IT's pretty simple. Instead of the world divided into deg. min. seconds it's divided into rectangles measured in meters.

                  Derek

                  > I've been entering coordinates into my Garmin that look
                  > like: N36 48.201
                  > W118 24.155, for example. I'm trying to also use
                  > coordinates from the
                  > Sierra South book, by Moray & White, and in there they
                  > look like: 11S
                  > 353042 4109671 (for example). It says that these are
                  > UTM data with
                  > meters east and meters north. Help! Does anyone know how
                  > to enter these?
                  > Thanks so much - Barbara

                • Barbara Karagosian
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
                    Thanks for the info on coordinates. Just read the fine print in my Garmin
                    manual, and also found the site you referred to - I think I've got it!
                    Barbara

                    _____

                    Your GPS can display and use UTM coordinates if you change the setup menu.
                    Check out http://www.dbartlet <http://www.dbartlett.com/> t.com/ for some

                    --- On Wed, 7/30/08, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe.