Bear Canisters

  • dmarleuk
    Message 1 of 127 , Aug 1, 2012
      Hello there,
      I'm planning to rent a bear canister for the trail from the NP office. I'm hoping to head off to Colorado after the trek and do a 5-6 day loop in the Maroon Bells. I was wondering about keeping the bear canister for that, and then mailing it back to the park. Is that even allowed?
      Any thoughts on this?
      Thanks
      David
    • Scott Wolfe
      Message 127 of 127 , Jan 21

      Vidette Meadow

      Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

      From:"robert shattuck bobolonius@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:03 PM
      Subject:Re: [John Muir Trail] Bear Canisters

      " .... including a prolonged attempt in Vidette Meadow"

      It really doesn't matter if you put your canister ten or a hundred feet away, you're going to have bears in Vidette meadow---that's the problem---on that instance.

      ...,..otherwise, yeah, I always leave it within sight as well as flashlight range.

      Bob Shattuck

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 21, 2015, at 7:32 PM, "rnperky@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'm in the same train of thought as Joe on bear can placement. I leave mine in direct line-of-sight and 20-30 feet away from me. I've actually had more events of bear curiosity and attempts to get at it when I've had it further away, including a prolonged attempt at it in Viddette Meadows:) !