Post Office in Yosemite Valley

  • dmarleuk
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
      Hello there,
      Going to mail a few things out when I get to Yosemite Valley sending them to the hotel in Lone Pine. The hotel has requested I send packages by UPS or Fed Ex. Is this possible from the Valley post office?
      Thanks
      David
    • Ray Rippel
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
        Good day, David,

        I have a friend who works at the Post Office in YV. I can email him tonight, but I probably won't get an answer until tomorrow. Will that be sufficient?

        Good hiking, Ray
      • david marle
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
          Thanks Ray I have a week before I start - wasn't sure if it was a full service PO or just had limited facilities.

          I have a friend who works at the Post Office in YV. I can email him tonight, but I probably won't get an answer until tomorrow. Will that be sufficient?

          Good hiking, Ray
        • Frank Dumville
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
            A Post Office will only handle US Mail.
            UPS and FedEx are private commercial shipping companies. Check their websites to see if they have a shipping location in the Valley.

            Snap

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
              Another option available if you're arriving in Lone Pine during the week would be to send your package to the Post Office for General Delivery pickup.

              Snap
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
                On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Frank Dumville <nccctsd@...> wrote:

                A Post Office will only handle US Mail.
                UPS and FedEx are private commercial shipping companies.

                FedEx and the US Mail have a contract that allows FedEx dropoff boxes in or just outside many Post Offices (including mine here in San Francisco). Don't know about Yosemite valley, though, and the FedEx website doesn't seem to list it.

              • Ray Rippel
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
                  Good morning,

                  Well, I corresponded with my Post Office buddy, and here is what he tells me:

                  "If you want to send something FedEx or UPS it may be able to be arranged with the company [DNC], but you can't send it from our office without adding US Postage. The arrangement with the company (Delaware North Corporation) would be made through our courier with that entity..."

                  That tells me that it's possible, but likely not easy. If you're committed to the plan I would suggest starting at the PO, early in the morning, ask who at DNC can help with arrangements, and then go from there.

                  He also tells me that if you could catch the UPS or FedEx driver anywhere in the park, and were prepared with a PRE-PAID package, your could probably just hand it to them. Even if you decide to ask DNC for help, I would think having everything pre-paid would be a tremendous advantage.

                  All of this is little too ambiguous for my tastes, but you might feel differently. As a back-up you could send it to the Lone Pine PO, General Delivery.

                  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

                  Ray Rippel
                  Author, Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail
                  http://jmtbook.com/
                  Follow me at: www.twitter.com/JMTBook

                • david marle
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
                    Thanks for all that Ray - I will mail from SF before I set off.
                    David