Dog-tired and thirsty

  • Bronco
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2012
      Finished at Whitney Portal. That hike downhill is a killer under a cloudless sky. Met wonderful people along the way and shared food, water, tequila, and campsites, playing tag during the day. My hiking partner/son dropped out at Onion Valley resupply with Wounded Knee. He hitched a ride to his car in Bishop and brought back pizza and beer. We spent the evening with Brian Berner at his outfitters' cabin exchanging stories. He's been there since 1973...last man standing. BTW, he loves all-meat pizza. Gave us free showers! So after Whitney we had a burger in Lone Pine with Fat Tire draft beer. Yummm! Then we drove through Death Valley, ending up in Vegas for two days. Evening sunset at Guitar Lake and up at 3am to climb Whitney...Fourteener at 8:15 am, 190' below sea level at 4 pm, then a sunset outside of Vegas. A bipolar 24 hours!!! And a most memorable adventure.