My Yosemite Trip

  • charliepolecat
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2012
      What is it they say about the best laid plans of mice and men?

      Mine went awry as soon as I visited the wilderness centre on the Saturday and was told the comment on my wilderness permit confirmation letter about not camping until I reached Lower Yosemite Valley meant I HAD to camp at LYV. Furthermore, I was also informed that I could not camp until Monday night. This put me into a two day deficit on my time and more importantly,in my food stock. Consequently, and to cut a very long story short, the JMT through hike was abandoned.

      In the end, I camped up at LYV and base camped there and wandered around the wilderness for 6 days until the food ran out.

      I had a great time, one of the best trips ever taken. I learnt a lot, particularly about Yosemite miles being far different than street miles and that although I can walk at a steady pace of 4 MPH at home, 2 MPH average in the wilderness at altitude is as much as I can expect, and with much of the climbing at little more than half a mile an hour.

      I will be back next year, but may end up doing a loop - that does not necessarily include the JMT - or I may even hike deep into the wilderness and base camping somewhere remote for a week or so.

      My apologies also to those whom I promised to call either in San Francisco or the valley. My battery went flat before I reached Yosemite (fully charged before leaving home) and foolishly I thought I would not need to take a charger with me.

      Anyway, here are some photos I took in the high country. One hike I would recommend everyone to do before they leave this mortal coil, is Clouds Rest. In my opinion, some of the best views anywhere in the world are to be seen from the top of Clouds Rest.

      I hope you enjoy.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/37440194@N08/sets/72157630846462580/

      As most of you know, in order to get to the High Sierras one has to climb out of Yosemite Valley - where the backpackers camp, visitors centre and wilderness permit office is - at 4,000 feet up to Little Yosemite Valley at 6,140 feet in little more than 3 miles with a 30 lb + pack. Surprisingly, this is not as much fun as it sounds.

      Ken.

      'Never stop at the bottom of a hill.'
    • Barbara Karagosian

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2012
              .... sssiiiiiighhhh ....  Your pics are fabulous, Ken, thanks for sharing!

              I've lurked on this list about a year, hoping to learn all the permit hoops and tricks I need to know to pull off a JMT trip someday.  There are a lot of rules and fine print, and as you illustrated the gotchas can really make or break a trip's success.  I'd be coming from the East coast, and the logistics can seem very daunting.  It's easy to get resentful that a simple walk in the wilderness can be so complicated.

              BUT... You've convinced me once again that it's worth it.  In fact, even if something doesn't work out and you default to wandering around for several days, it's still worth it.  I appreciate the nudge, and I'm going to start planning a trip for next year.

              Keep it coming with the details, there are plenty of us out here learning from those who've gone before!

              Many thanks,
              Gina

              On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM, charliepolecat <kennethjessett@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Luis Velasco

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2012
                  On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Gina Cicotello <ginacico@...> wrote:

                  It's easy to get resentful that a simple walk in the wilderness can be so complicated.

                  One possible lesson from Ken's experience is that building a few extra days into a plan is often useful. If you don't need them somewhere, they give you an opportunity for a zero day or one of the many lovely sidetrips

                  (Easy for me to say, of course. I'm retired.)

                  Loved the pictures, Ken!

                • Spencer Goodwine

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2, 2012
                      A friend and I once did a loop in Yosemite. Started with the first night on El Capitan. Then along the north side to TM and back via JMT. Did Cloud's Rest and Half Dome. Cloud's Rest was the high point in more ways than one. My friend had a 60X scope so we could look around. You can see almost all the park from there.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                        Spencer, poor planning and overly high expectations on my part.

                        Mostly, I suppose it was climbing into this wonderful wilderness for the first time and being like a child being shown a street full of candy shops, going into the first one and never needing to come out. There just didn't seem to be any reason to move on.

                        Anyway, 3 things to relate:

                        Most memorable moment was when a bear (yearling) wandered onto the trail ahead of me, turned and stared me full in the face. I don't know what he (she?) thought of me, but I thought he/she was magnificent. Eventually, the bear seemed unimpressed with me and wandered off into the forest.

                        Most relaxing experience(s) was me dipping my feet into the many cooling mountain streams, I could have stayed there forever.

                        Funniest moment was overhearing three women talking on the trail and one of them relating a conversation she had had with another woman and saying, "I told her that the reason I talk about sex so much is that I never get any".

                        Already planning to complete the trip next year, probably from Tuolomne going south. Did you know that there is a free shuttle from the valley to Tuolumne?

                        Ken.
                      • charliepolecat
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                          Something else I found out by email from the wilderness office today:

                          Out of then 40 permits issued for the high country from HI each day, ten are reserved for JMT through-hikers (6 pre-booked, 4 walk ins). The rest are for anyone going anywhere.
                        • Ed Rodriguez
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                            Hey Ken there is no free shuttle from the valley into TM but once in TM there is a free shuttle that take you around. You can take YARTS . They leave the valley at 5 pm and get to TM around 6:45. YV does have a hiker shuttle that can take you up not sure what the time or cost. Am starting in TM and be getting into the valley early noon. Not sure if I try to hitch to TM or take a bus

                            Ed Rodriguez
                            Roseville, CA

                            http://edrodriguez52.blog.com/

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                              There were three hikers taking the 'free' shuttle from the valley when I was there round to Tuolumne. I didn't bother to check if it was really 'free' but I do know the shuttle bus drivers confirmed they went there.

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ed Rodriguez <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

                              > Hey Ken there is no free shuttle from the valley into TM but once in TM there is a free shuttle that take you around. You can take YARTS . They leave the valley at 5 pm and get to TM around 6:45. YV does have a hiker shuttle that can take you up not sure what the time or cost. Am starting in TM and be getting into the valley early noon. Not sure if I try to hitch to TM or take a bus
                              >
                              > Ed Rodriguez
                              > Roseville, CA
                              >

                              > http://edrodriguez52.blog.com/%c3%82%c2%a0

                            • charliepolecat
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 3, 2012
                                Ed, this confirms you are right: Those guys were probably surprised when they had to pay:

                                http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmbus.htm.