Yosemite Transportation

  • frankedselsmith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30 8:38 AM
      Hi everybody

      Any suggestions for transportation from SF to Yosemite?

      Last year I completed the JMT solo and was able to use train, bus, and shuttle from Fresno to Yosemite to Reno: No rental car! This summer I am taking my wife on the 7 day High Sierra Trip and wish to avoid a rental car. Any suggestions for transportation from SF to Yosemite? I was able to get a low cost direct flight to SF or would have repeated last summer's itinerary. I can find nothing on the internet except tour busses.

      I appreciate any help!
    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30 8:45 AM
        From SFO take Bart to Richmond. Walk across the tracks and jump on Amtrak to Merced where you can pick up the Yarts bus into Yosemite.

        Any suggestions for transportation from SF to Yosemite?

        Last year I completed the JMT solo and was able to use train, bus, and shuttle from Fresno to Yosemite to Reno: No rental car! This summer I am taking my wife on the 7 day High Sierra Trip and wish to avoid a rental car. Any suggestions for transportation from SF to Yosemite? I was able to get a low cost direct flight to SF or would have repeated last summer's itinerary. I can find nothing on the internet except tour busses.

        I appreciate any help!

      • Matthew Waxman

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30 12:11 PM
              " This summer I am taking my wife . . . "

              "You want to leave from the Richmond bart station"

              "Amtrak runs a trip from fishermans wharf to YOS for about $40."

              "Walk across the tracks and jump on Amtrak"

              First and foremost ( and not to step on anyone's toes, so that they shouldn't be able to hike the JMT, but . . . )  have either you or your wife ever been to San Francisco? Does it really matter all that much to either one of you what your experience might be in those hours or day(s) leading up to your getting on the AMTRAK bus to Yosemite? Do you need access to any further gear shopping?

              If both you and your wife are good with getting off a plane in San Francisco, taking the BART train all the way over to Richmond . . . across the bay, in a somewhat less than desirable area where you might just both decide to stay holed up in your room until the early morning hours, then . .. go for it. Stay in Richmond.

              I can't quote the crime stats in Richmond, but the great past-time there is the drive-by shooting, or the doing donuts in your caddillac . . .

              Or you could take BART to Oakland, then negotiate the public transit there to get yourself over to a hotel near the Emeryville station, where you could spend your evening dining at some of America's finer fast food and fine family restaurants, such as Denny's.

              If all you want to do is get to Yosemite then by all means, get a room for the night in the east bay . . .

              If you or your wife have not been to San Francisco and you don't want to stay in some convenient "waiting room" until you scurry on out in the morning to catch that Amtrak train, then think about staying in San Francisco.

              Most JMT bound out-of-towners, fly into San Francisco, arriving in the afternoon. this gives them enough time to get situated in their hotel room, then spend the rest of the day, doing what needs to be done, or nothing at all––you can head for REI, or you can head to Fisherman's Wharf, where a quick glance towards Richmond, will give you a foggy idea that, there ain't nothin' there.

              And there are a few stops that the AMTRAK bus makes in San Francisco . . . I think one is out on Market Street somewhere and the other is, down near Fisherman's wharf . . . but my experience has always been that the bus usually pulls up in front of the Ferry Building stop and it's empty, with a nice crowd of Yosemite bound hikers, waiting to get on.

              The Ferry Building, on the Embarcadero, in downtown San Francisco is the place you want to get on the morning Amtrak bus at 7 a.m.

              Take the lovely sunrise ride across the Bay Bridge, wave at downtown oakland as you seamlessly cruise into the Emeryville Amtrak station.

              Get off the bus, wait in the station for another ten minutes, while sizing up all the backpacks around you and then get on the train to Merced.

              I can pretty much guarantee you that you and your wife, won't be chugging up the track towards Richmond, wishing you'd stayed on the east side.

              Berkeley, Oakland––the hot spots of culture and food and so on in the east bay––sure, they got it goin' on, but you've got to be able to know where you want to go and then, without a car, you've got to either get "driven around" by a cabbie, or figure out the transport system.

              You probably don't want to get lost in Richmond.

              Oh yeah, the  AMTRAK/YARTS schedule  . . . bus leaves SF Embarcadero (did I forget to mention that Embarcadero is where the station is––not anywhere else in SF)  cruises over to Emeryville where you get off the bus, grab your pack and then about ten minutes later, board the train to Merced.

              Get off in Merced. Stand around with several other backpackers, all wondering where the bus is–––it'll show up soon and you will all get on and be in Yosemite valley by about 1:45 p.m.

              BOB

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 30 12:45 PM
                Good points all.  It is a vacation after all. :)

                You can also sleep in SF and take bart over to Richmond early in the morning if you already bought tickets/don't want to leave from the ferry building.  I forget the details, but when I was living in SF I decided it was easier to bart over to Richmond then it was to take the bus from the ferry building inside San Francisco.  As I said though I don't remember the logic.

                As an aside the amtrack station really is at the Richmod bart stop.  The train I wanted to take the first time was named after an address a few miles away and almost ended in disaster.  Don't be fooled. :)

                -Jess

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 30 1:03 PM
                  Go here to reserve

                  Enter Station RIC as your departure point and YOV as destination. Should cost $34

                  On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:
                  From SFO take Bart to Richmond. Walk across the tracks and jump on Amtrak to Merced where you can pick up the Yarts bus into Yosemite.