Anyone SOBO from Happy Isles early August?

  • josh0322
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 2008
      Hi all,
      I'm wondering if there's anyone on this group who will be headed
      towards Whitney starting around Aug.5
      I will be leaving from the trailhead that day with my father but he
      will be turning back a couple days later. I will continue on to
      Whitney but would love to have some company.
      Will there be many JMT thru-hikers out that I might be able to make
      friends with?

      Thanks!

      Josh
    • e1705email
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2008
        Hi Josh,

        I am scheduled to be leaving on the 6th of August. I could watch for
        you, unless you are burning up the trail. You can read a little about
        me at trailjournals.com, under 2008 / John Muir Trail. I have made a
        few entries there.

        You were also the one who was going to look into importing waypoints
        from Excel to Mapsource. Any success? It looks like Matt and Kevin are
        working on getting the final product to us also.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, josh0322 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I'm wondering if there's anyone on this group who will be headed
        > towards Whitney starting around Aug.5
        > I will be leaving from the trailhead that day with my father but he
        > will be turning back a couple days later. I will continue on to
        > Whitney but would love to have some company.
        > Will there be many JMT thru-hikers out that I might be able to make
        > friends with?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Josh

      • Brian O'Kelly
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2008
          Hey H,

          The LostHillsGuy group is leaving H. I. on the 6th also. We are going to be staying in Curry the night before. What are your plans the night before?

          What is your pace? We are doing the 21 day itinerary.

          Brian
          LHG

          e1705email <df@...> wrote: Hi Josh,

          I am scheduled to be leaving on the 6th of August. I could watch for
          you, unless you are burning up the trail. You can read a little about
          me at trailjournals.com, under 2008 / John Muir Trail. I have made a
          few entries there.

          You were also the one who was going to look into importing waypoints
          from Excel to Mapsource. Any success? It looks like Matt and Kevin are
          working on getting the final product to us also.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, josh0322 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I'm wondering if there's anyone on this group who will be headed
          > towards Whitney starting around Aug.5
          > I will be leaving from the trailhead that day with my father but he
          > will be turning back a couple days later. I will continue on to
          > Whitney but would love to have some company.
          > Will there be many JMT thru-hikers out that I might be able to make
          > friends with?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Josh

        • Jim W
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 2008
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, josh0322 <no_reply@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > > I'm wondering if there's anyone on this group who will be headed
            > > towards Whitney starting around Aug.5

            I'm toying with my plan. I intend to start hiking on Aug 10, but the
            logistics are still evading me.

            My current plan and permit reservations are for me to start hiking
            NOBO from Red's Meadow on Sunday 8/10, arriving at Happy Isles on 8/14
            then catch the YARTS bus from Yosemite back to Mammoth that afternoon.
            On 8/15 I'll pick up my next permit and start hiking SOBO with a
            resupply at Muir Trail Ranch, arriving at Whitney Portal on Sunday
            8/24.

            Although I think this plan is reasonable I still have the logistical
            issues of getting from Whitney Portal to Mammoth to pick up my car.
            It is also somewhat disjointed with the bus ride and town stop after
            day 5.

            My other option is to catch Amtrak from LA to Yosemite, get a
            first-come permit, and hitch home from Whitney Portal.

            Jim
            Long Beach
          • josh0322
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2008
              H,
              I will definitely NOT be burning up the trail. I'm more of a
              slow'n'steady kinda hiker.
              I haven't fooled around with the GPS coords yet... too busy with work.
              It looks like they may have solved the problem already though.

              -josh

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "e1705email" <df@...> wrote:

              > Hi Josh,
              >
              > I am scheduled to be leaving on the 6th of August. I could watch for
              > you, unless you are burning up the trail. You can read a little about
              > me at trailjournals.com, under 2008 / John Muir Trail. I have made a
              > few entries there.
              >
              > You were also the one who was going to look into importing waypoints
              > from Excel to Mapsource. Any success? It looks like Matt and Kevin are
              > working on getting the final product to us also.

            • david
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                Fellow Solo Pedestrian,
                I'm planning to leave Toulomne Valley on August 3rd or 4th (I'm going to try for a walk-
                up permit). I'll be bringing my fly rod, and take at least two zero days. I expect that you
                will zip past me as we ascend one of the passes. Most of my family are concerned about
                the solo aspect of the hike. But I'm looking forward to the combination of the meeting new
                folks and the chance for some solitude.
                David "stocky" Stockbridge
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, josh0322 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > I'm wondering if there's anyone on this group who will be headed
                > towards Whitney starting around Aug.5
                > I will be leaving from the trailhead that day with my father but he
                > will be turning back a couple days later. I will continue on to
                > Whitney but would love to have some company.
                > Will there be many JMT thru-hikers out that I might be able to make
                > friends with?
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Josh

              • e1705email
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                  LostHillsGuy Group,

                  I have a schedule posted at TrailJournals.com. I really don't know
                  how well I will do, but have planned to be a little slower than you.
                  I will be fishing along the way, but have to average 10 miles per day
                  with room for 3+ layover days at that pace. Am not exiting at
                  Whitney, but continuing on the HST to end up on the Western side of
                  the Sierras, so 30 days total. Sounds like a good plan, but then, so
                  did a lot of others . .

                  IF things go according to schedule, should arrive in YV around 2pm on
                  the 5th. Will need to get wilderness permit, a fuel canister and a
                  fishing license (at Curry village, I think). Did consider leaving
                  right then and not waiting for a 'legal' start on the 6th (maybe this
                  is allowed, I don't know). While I am prepared to hike at night, and
                  enjoy it, a lot of scenery is missed in the dark, so may spend the
                  night at Backpacker's camp and start early on the 6th. I don't
                  remember ever going 'into' Yosemite park from the highway so this
                  will have a first time feel to it. Don't want to miss out on good
                  things by being in haste.

                  Have learned some about you by googling 'losthillsguy'.

                  Let the adventure continue.

                  Walking in peace,

                  Plan on hiking alone but look forward to
                  > Hey H,
                  >
                  > The LostHillsGuy group is leaving H. I. on the 6th also. We are
                  going to be staying in Curry the night before. What are your plans
                  the night before?

                  > What is your pace? We are doing the 21 day itinerary.
                  >
                  > Brian
                  > LHG
                  >

                  > e1705email <df@...> wrote: Hi Josh,
                • josh0322
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                    David,
                    I'm thinking about going at roughly the same pace. I'd love to stop
                    and fish too...though I think I'll take a spin rod.
                    I won't be "zipping" past anyone...at least not during the first half
                    of the trip.

                    -Josh

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "david" <davidstockbridge@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Fellow Solo Pedestrian,
                    > I'm planning to leave Toulomne Valley on August 3rd or 4th (I'm
                    going to try for a walk-
                    > up permit). I'll be bringing my fly rod, and take at least two zero
                    days. I expect that you
                    > will zip past me as we ascend one of the passes. Most of my family
                    are concerned about
                    > the solo aspect of the hike. But I'm looking forward to the
                    combination of the meeting new
                    > folks and the chance for some solitude.
                    > David "stocky" Stockbridge
                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, josh0322 <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi all,
                    > > I'm wondering if there's anyone on this group who will be headed
                    > > towards Whitney starting around Aug.5
                    > > I will be leaving from the trailhead that day with my father but he
                    > > will be turning back a couple days later. I will continue on to
                    > > Whitney but would love to have some company.
                    > > Will there be many JMT thru-hikers out that I might be able to make
                    > > friends with?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks!
                    > >
                    > > Josh

                  • Drew
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                      My hiking buddy and I are scheduled to depart on Aug 4th from Glacier
                      Point.

                      We are finalizing both our food Cache and zero day choices. Should
                      have a decision by the end of the week. I doubt we will be burning up
                      the trail either, coming from sea level in the Northwest.

                      The only true unknown at this point is if my previously torn calf
                      muscle can withstand the trail..

                      Once we hit our zero day (probably at VVR) you may catch up to us. If
                      so, your welcome to join in. I'll post our most likely schedule by
                      weeks end.

                      HikingDrew