A last minute change of plans..

  • segstak
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 27, 2012
      Hello Yahoo JMT-ers!!! This is my very first post on here, ever! I have to say, although I haven't actually 'met' nor interacted with anyone on here, I absolutely love this community. I was lucky enough to stumble upon it without word of mouth, and I've already spent a good amount of time reading through posts and threads. A big thank you to everyone for being so enthusiastic and such a great resource!!

      And now for the (bad) news..

      My friend and I were tentatively planning on thru-hiking the JMT from Aug 3-19, but my friend suddenly dropped out this morning. *cue gasps*

      I can't and don't blame him at all because he got an unexpected job offer, but I'm still a tad disappointed. Man oh man, have I been dreaming about this trip for a while now. We were pretty much all planned out in terms of gear and such (just have to mail out my MTR food bucket this weekend). My shoes are broken in; the trails are calling my name. I was really looking forward to hiking with him. As you can probably infer, I'm heavily leaning towards solo-ing it anyway, but I do have some reservations - I've never done a trip alone for quite so long a distance, and this is a little last minute to change plans! In all honesty, I'm posting on here because I really value your guys' opinions/experience, and would love your input on my decision to solo the JMT. I think it'll also help me gather my thoughts if I type everything out.

      Here are the things to consider..

      - I do have a decent amount of backpacking experience, including a lot abroad and in less-traveled regions. The longest solo trip I've done is a 10-day bike tour through the Japanese countryside.
      - My gear is light enough where it doesn't really matter that my friend is not going.
      - I'm 23 years old and am in decently good shape. I should have no problem hiking the planned 13 miles a day (16 days total).
      - I just came back from a year-long volunteering term in rural China, so I'm pretty used to being by myself.
      - I'm starting graduate school this fall, so who knows when my next 'free' two weeks will be?
      - I honestly do feel a little anxious about doing this alone, but I have a feeling that this is something that'll fade out after a day or two; and if not, I can always just hike out of Red's. Thoughts?
      - I'm not really sure I can take out a bear in solo hand-to-hand combat if it comes down to it.

      Really, any thoughts and/or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this post! Words of encouragement/discouragement are both equally welcome.

      Cheers,

      Seigi
    • LEBRUN

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 27, 2012
          You will not be alone. In my humble opinion it is a great solo trail. Had my partner bail I would be soloing it and I am an old lady.
        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 27, 2012
            You'll be fine. Can you read map? (that should have been a point just above "take out a bear")

            The great thing about the JMT is you can usually stay as "solo" as you want but there are more

            than enough people who don't mind adding an extra to their group or just checking in as the days go by.

            BOB

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 27, 2012
              I'll be doing the JMT solo, so maybe my view is biased.  But it seems to me that someone who's in reasonable shape, who's done the proper planning to arrange re-supplies, transportation, etc, should be fine going solo on this trip.

              The downside is that if the unexpected does happen, and you need support, it's easier if you're with people you know.  But this is a busy trail, so it's not like you'd be alone in the wilderness (unless you go off trail along the way).  I don't think anyone should go & expect to be supported by others, but it should comfort you to know there will be other people around if you do need help.  I've also noticed (from this group) that there are a lot of repeat JMT-ers ... so there are plenty of experienced people out there.

              But you might want to brush up on your solo hand-to-hand combat with bears, just in case :-D.

              July 27, 2012 5:59 PM

            Message 6 of 17 , Jul 27, 2012

              What Bob said (below) is how I feel about it too.  I like the fact that I'm going solo, as being solo will help me achieve the goals & objectives I've set for myself for this trip.  I can hike and camp alone - but at the same time, it's nice to know if I want to talk, there are plenty of friendly people who are happy to oblige.  And when I want true solitude, I can step off the trail for a while.

              A little story:  I did a trip on a short segment of the JMT last summer - up from Onion Valley, to Forester Pass, back to Charlotte Lake, and back out.  On the actual JMT part going up to Forester and back, I noticed something.  I found myself leap-frogging a small group of SoBO JMT'ers.  I sensed a feeling of camaraderie among them, and even though I'd just joined the trail, I felt it too.  It was funny, as I turned around at Forester to head back up north, while they all continued SoBo, I felt a little sad, that they got to continue on, and I had to go back.  And a couple/few days later, I wondered if each of them had made it up to Whitney and out to WP according to the plans they had told me of during our brief acquaintance(s).

              And this was from just an ~8 mile section of the trail.

              July 27, 2012 6:13 PM

              The great thing about the JMT is you can usually stay as "solo" as you want but there are more

              than enough people who don't mind adding an extra to their group or just checking in as the days go by.
            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 7 of 17 , Jul 27, 2012

                DO IT!  You’ll meet lots of other people and will be able to hike some of the day with them or camp close by.  And if its really awful, you have options for places to leave the trail from.  Enjoy!

                Message 8 of 17 , Jul 27, 2012
                  Bill that is how trail fsmily is firmed.

                  HH
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

                  > What Bob said (below) is how I feel about it too. I like the fact that
                  > I'm going solo, as being solo will help me achieve the goals &
                  > objectives I've set for myself for this trip. I can hike and camp alone
                  > - but at the same time, it's nice to know if I want to talk, there are
                  > plenty of friendly people who are happy to oblige. And when I want true
                  > solitude, I can step off the trail for a while.
                  >
                  > A little story: I did a trip on a short segment of the JMT last summer
                  > - up from Onion Valley, to Forester Pass, back to Charlotte Lake, and
                  > back out. On the actual JMT part going up to Forester and back, I
                  > noticed something. I found myself leap-frogging a small group of SoBO
                  > JMT'ers. I sensed a feeling of camaraderie among them, and even though
                  > I'd just joined the trail, I felt it too. It was funny, as I turned
                  > around at Forester to head back up north, while they all continued SoBo,
                  > I felt a little sad, that they got to continue on, and I had to go
                  > back. And a couple/few days later, I wondered if each of them had made
                  > it up to Whitney and out to WP according to the plans they had told me
                  > of during our brief acquaintance(s).
                  >
                  > And this was from just an ~8 mile section of the trail.
                  >

                  > > robert shattuck <mailto:bobolonius@...>
                  > > July 27, 2012 6:13 PM
                  > >

                  > > The great thing about the JMT is you can usually stay as "solo" as you
                  > > want but there are more
                  > >
                  > > than enough people who don't mind adding an extra to their group or
                  > > just checking in as the days go by.

                • Kim Fishburn
                  Message 9 of 17 , Jul 27, 2012
                    I hiked most of the JMT solo in 1989, and tried several times after that. I met a couple brothers on my 3rd day out, and kept seeing a German couple with a guy from North Carlina off and on, and met a couple guys a few days later. We kept seeing each other on the hike, and camped together a few times. You'll never be alone on the trail, but can have as much time to yourself that you want. You may never get another chance to make the hike, and if so you'll always regret not doing it. Just do it. You'll never regret it.

                    Kim

                    Message 10 of 17 , Jul 27, 2012
                      SOLO for me is being able to walk your own pace take brakes when you feel that you need to eat when you want to. Last year as I was going NOBO, I can across all kinds of SOBO JMTers like close to 8 a day.if not more. As far as bears well about 5:50 min into this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtsxZp4LalQ
                        I saw a very big bear I was expecting him to drop by that night to say hello. Back in 2010 when I hike the JMT with my daughter we hike alone but end up for the most part camping with the same people each night. You will do find and might find going solo that you will learn something about yourself.

                      Ed Rodriguez
                      Roseville, CA

                      http://edrodriguez52.blog.com/

                      Bill that is how trail fsmily is firmed.

                      HH
                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

                      > What Bob said (below) is how I feel about it too. I like the fact that
                      > I'm going solo, as being solo will help me achieve the goals &
                      > objectives I've set for myself for this trip. I can hike and camp alone
                      > - but at the same time, it's nice to know if I want to talk, there are
                      > plenty of friendly people who are happy to oblige. And when I want true
                      > solitude, I can step off the trail for a while.
                      >
                      > A little story: I did a trip on a short segment of the JMT last summer
                      > - up from Onion Valley, to Forester Pass, back to Charlotte Lake, and
                      > back out. On the actual JMT part going up to Forester and back, I
                      > noticed something. I found myself leap-frogging a small group of SoBO
                      > JMT'ers. I sensed a feeling of camaraderie among them, and even though
                      > I'd just joined the trail, I felt it too. It was funny, as I turned
                      > around at Forester to head back up north, while they all continued SoBo,
                      > I felt a little sad, that they got to continue on, and I had to go
                      > back. And a couple/few days later, I wondered if each of them had made
                      > it up to Whitney and out to WP according to the plans they had told me
                      > of during our brief acquaintance(s).
                      >
                      > And this was from just an ~8 mile section of the trail.
                      >

                      > > robert shattuck <mailto:bobolonius@...>
                      > > July 27, 2012 6:13 PM
                      > >

                      > > The great thing about the JMT is you can usually stay as "solo" as you
                      > > want but there are more
                      > >
                      > > than enough people who don't mind adding an extra to their group or
                      > > just checking in as the days go by.

                    • Luis Velasco
                      Message 11 of 17 , Jul 27, 2012

                        On Jul 27, 2012, at 5:59 PM, segstak wrote:

                        I'm not really sure I can take out a bear in solo hand-to-hand combat if it comes down to it.

                        Can't take out a bear!??  My gosh--you're definitely not ready!

                        Just funning you.  My gosh, you're ready than most--just get on with it... you'll do fine.

                        - Luis
                        San Diego, CA
                        072712_1948

                      • Jess Mink

                          Message 13 of 17 , Jul 28, 2012
                            You guys are all freakin' awesome!! Thank you! The more I think about it, the more excited and stoked I am for this trip. I really appreciate all of your guys' input. :) I hope to see some of you on the trail, though I'll be a tad incognito without the pin to show off. Last thing to do is to (hopefully) get my hands on a walk-in permit..

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jess Mink <paragonedragon@...> wrote:

                            > My group (3 people) is starting Aug 2nd/Aug 3rd so we'll probably run into
                            > each other. You might be soloing it, but I doubt you'll be alone.
                            >
                            > -Jess
                            >
                            > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Luis Velasco <velascoluis@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > On Jul 27, 2012, at 5:59 PM, segstak wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I'm not really sure I can take out a bear in solo hand-to-hand combat if
                            > > it comes down to it.
                            > >

                            > > Can't take out a bear!?? My gosh--you're definitely not ready!
                            > >
                            > > Just funning you. My gosh, you're ready than most--just get on with it...
                            > > you'll do fine.
                            > >
                            > > - Luis
                            > > San Diego, CA
                            > > 072712_1948

                          • Barbara Karagosian
                            Message 14 of 17 , Jul 28, 2012
                              I'm starting at North Lake and will be MTR on Aug 11, then headed south from there...hope to see someone!  Got resupplies coming in over Kearsage on Aug 21.

                              Barbara

                              On Jul 28, 2012, at 8:54 PM, "segstak" <avoidseigi@...> wrote:

                              You guys are all freakin' awesome!! Thank you! The more I think about it, the more excited and stoked I am for this trip. I really appreciate all of your guys' input. :) I hope to see some of you on the trail, though I'll be a tad incognito without the pin to show off. Last thing to do is to (hopefully) get my hands on a walk-in permit..

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jess Mink <paragonedragon@...> wrote:

                              > My group (3 people) is starting Aug 2nd/Aug 3rd so we'll probably run into
                              > each other. You might be soloing it, but I doubt you'll be alone.
                              >
                              > -Jess
                              >
                              > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Luis Velasco <velascoluis@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > On Jul 27, 2012, at 5:59 PM, segstak wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I'm not really sure I can take out a bear in solo hand-to-hand combat if
                              > > it comes down to it.
                              > >

                              > > Can't take out a bear!?? My gosh--you're definitely not ready!
                              > >
                              > > Just funning you. My gosh, you're ready than most--just get on with it...
                              > > you'll do fine.
                              > >
                              > > - Luis
                              > > San Diego, CA
                              > > 072712_1948

                            • Justice
                              Message 15 of 17 , Jul 28, 2012
                                I am going solo, my family is worried. I have tried explaining I may be hiking solo but I will not be alone on the trail. I told them I will see plenty of other people and only be alone if I want. I am starting Tuesday AM, if you start soon I may see you out there.

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "segstak" <avoidseigi@...> wrote:

                                > You guys are all freakin' awesome!! Thank you! The more I think about it, the more excited and stoked I am for this trip. I really appreciate all of your guys' input. :) I hope to see some of you on the trail, though I'll be a tad incognito without the pin to show off. Last thing to do is to (hopefully) get my hands on a walk-in permit..
                                >
                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jess Mink <paragonedragon@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > My group (3 people) is starting Aug 2nd/Aug 3rd so we'll probably run into
                                > > each other. You might be soloing it, but I doubt you'll be alone.
                                > >
                                > > -Jess
                                > >
                                > > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Luis Velasco <velascoluis@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > **
                                > > >

                                > > > On Jul 27, 2012, at 5:59 PM, segstak wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I'm not really sure I can take out a bear in solo hand-to-hand combat if
                                > > > it comes down to it.
                                > > >

                                > > > Can't take out a bear!?? My gosh--you're definitely not ready!
                                > > >
                                > > > Just funning you. My gosh, you're ready than most--just get on with it...
                                > > > you'll do fine.
                                > > >
                                > > > - Luis
                                > > > San Diego, CA
                                > > > 072712_1948

                              • Barbara Karagosian
                                Message 16 of 17 , Jul 28, 2012
                                  Do you have a Spot device?  That can help worried families, to know you can get help in an emergency.

                                  On Jul 28, 2012, at 9:05 PM, "Justice" <jkokbaker@...> wrote:

                                  I am going solo, my family is worried. I have tried explaining I may be hiking solo but I will not be alone on the trail. I told them I will see plenty of other people and only be alone if I want. I am starting Tuesday AM, if you start soon I may see you out there.

                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "segstak" <avoidseigi@...> wrote:

                                  > You guys are all freakin' awesome!! Thank you! The more I think about it, the more excited and stoked I am for this trip. I really appreciate all of your guys' input. :) I hope to see some of you on the trail, though I'll be a tad incognito without the pin to show off. Last thing to do is to (hopefully) get my hands on a walk-in permit..
                                  >
                                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jess Mink <paragonedragon@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > My group (3 people) is starting Aug 2nd/Aug 3rd so we'll probably run into
                                  > > each other. You might be soloing it, but I doubt you'll be alone.
                                  > >
                                  > > -Jess
                                  > >
                                  > > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Luis Velasco <velascoluis@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > **
                                  > > >

                                  > > > On Jul 27, 2012, at 5:59 PM, segstak wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I'm not really sure I can take out a bear in solo hand-to-hand combat if
                                  > > > it comes down to it.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Can't take out a bear!?? My gosh--you're definitely not ready!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Just funning you. My gosh, you're ready than most--just get on with it...
                                  > > > you'll do fine.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > - Luis
                                  > > > San Diego, CA
                                  > > > 072712_1948

                                • hmdsierra
                                  Message 17 of 17 , Aug 1 2:34 PM
                                    For years I went with someone, usually a good friend of many rears. I enjoyed the campfire conversation. However, when we finished the south half of the trail in '93 he developed arthritis the following winter. So I often went solo. Most trips were in October on the west slope, HST among others. Even then I was able to run into others to camp with a few nights. JMT in the summer has lots of people so you cna go for solitude or stay with others. Often you might run into people doing the same pace and be able to spend several nights with company. Solitude is nice but you get to gather all the water, wood, and, for me, worse the evening conversation. It is nice to hear someone else gasping for air on the passes too. You might me solo but uyou will not be alone.