RE: [John Muir Trail] Zero Days: Who takes them and where at?

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 25, 2012
    Zero days?

    VVR ain't too bad . . .

    MTR, well . . . not there, but across the river at the hot tub. hello! always worth quitting early.

    Otherwise there are far too many moments that inspire the thought of a "zero day" . . .

    My favorite again, isn't really a "zero day" as much as a quit early day and that would be the little pond on the Bighorn plateau. Magical.

    Excellent spot to take it all in, before it's all over . . . spend a slow afternoon here, long night . . . get up in the morning and if you're charged up, you can make the summit of whitney in the late afternoon, or better yet, just hang out up above Guitar Lake, before your morning summit of Whitney.

    Bob

    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
    From: sdgoodwine@...
    Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:34:26 -0500
    Subject: [John Muir Trail] Zero Days: Who takes them and where at?

    Trying to piece together a rough itinerary and I figure I could theoretically take 2 zero days with the hiking schedule I have. Of course of things go awry, then I might not be able to take any...but I was wondering if anyone builds these into their itinerary and if so, where do you take them at? Do you stay a day at Red's or MTR or VVR? Or do you take a zero day at a particularly beautiful spot on the trail?
  • hmdsierra
    Message 42 of 42 , Jul 30, 2012
      I started backpacking in 1966 with a trip to Little Lakes Valley followed by two to Whitney and the west side. The next year my wife started going. In '68 whe and I made a yen day trip from Florence Lk thru Evolution Valley to Muir Pass and returned via Davis Lks. and Hell For Sure Pass. After that trip I left for a one year all expense paid trip to Southeast Asia.

      While I was there I got the idea to hike the entire JMT when I got back. She sent me a copy of Starr's Guide, which I almost memorized. She got a Kelty and on Sept 10, 1969 we started. We left at Devil's Postpile due to her injuring her foot. The idea stuck and when my friend suggested we do it I said OK. So on Aug 1, 1982 Myself, my friend and my 10 year old son took off. My friend had knee problems and left us at Red's Md. He hoped to join us in two weeks at Vidette and finish. He and his wife brought us more than enough food to finish but his knees were still bothering him.
      My plan was to through hike it once and note all the good spots, there are many, to go back and visit. And that is whet my sons and sometimes the wife did for the next few years. In '90 my fried and I went from TM to Agnew Mdw. The following year from South Lk to Florence. He said he wanted to finish so the following year we went from Mammoth to Florence Lk. In '93 we took two weeks to finish from South Lk to Whitney. Though I could be talked into another thru hike I prefer the way I did it.. We have had some very good trips along the trail and got to know some areas very well. We usually took a week and did about fifty miles with a day or two off to explore and fish. Often times half days. After '93 I started to look more on the western slopes, HST for example.