Re: JMT GPS Coords?

  • josh0322
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2008
      H,
      It seems as though an excel spreadsheet or CSV are all that are
      available. I know it's possible to convert to Garmin coords...I'll let
      you know when i find out how.

      Best
      Josh

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2008
        I have the waypoints from Reds Meadows to Whitney Portal in Garmin file format, if anyone wants them.  email me offline.

        It seems as though an excel spreadsheet or CSV are all that are

        available. I know it's possible to convert to Garmin coords...I'll let

        you know when i find out how.

        Best

        Josh

        --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "e1705email" <df@...> wrote:

        > > http://www.whitneyp ortalstore. com/data/ EWenk_JMT. htm

        > > All waypoint and campsite GPS coordinates are listed therein.

        > Aloha,

        > Once before I inquired if anyone knew how to import the waypoints

        > listed in the Excel spreadsheet that is available from the above link.

        > They look good in Excel, but I have not been able to figure out how to

        > import them from there into Garmin Mapsource. Spent a couple hours

        > trying to save columns of coordinates into a csv file and converting

        > with GPS Babel but never achieved success. Anyone with more experience

        > here could save me and others some time by sharing step by step how to

        > do this. Are you out there?

        > Thanks,

      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 28, 2008
          I have Garmin Mapsource coordinates already in Mapsource on my site. They have been there for almost 2 years. Everyone keeps passing them around. Go to http://www.kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html
          and click on the download "Mapsource .gdb file" at the top of the page, and it will give them to you for the whole trail. You have to have a registered copy of Mapsource to read .gdb files.
          Kevin
          http://www.kevinaston.com

          josh0322 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: H,
          It seems as though an excel spreadsheet or CSV are all that are
          available. I know it's possible to convert to Garmin coords...I'll let
          you know when i find out how.

          Best
          Josh

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "e1705email" <df@...> wrote:

          > > http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/data/EWenk_JMT.htm
          > >
          > > All waypoint and campsite GPS coordinates are listed therein.
          >
          > Aloha,
          >
          > Once before I inquired if anyone knew how to import the waypoints
          > listed in the Excel spreadsheet that is available from the above link.
          >
          > They look good in Excel, but I have not been able to figure out how to
          > import them from there into Garmin Mapsource. Spent a couple hours
          > trying to save columns of coordinates into a csv file and converting
          > with GPS Babel but never achieved success. Anyone with more experience
          > here could save me and others some time by sharing step by step how to
          > do this. Are you out there?
          >
          > Thanks,

        • j_mccrain
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28, 2008
            I took the information from columns "N" "Q" and "R" and combined them
            into one NEW column, with a SPACE between each set of information.
            This NEW coordinate can then be imported into Mapsource, although only
            one at a time. If anyone knows how to import ALL of them at once, that
            would be great!

            You could use this same method for making a new NAD27 coordinate, too.

            Cheers!

            Jim

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "e1705email" <df@...> wrote:

            > Once before I inquired if anyone knew how to import the waypoints
            > listed in the Excel spreadsheet that is available from the above link.
            >
            > They look good in Excel, but I have not been able to figure out how
            > import them from there into Garmin Mapsource.
            >
            >Anyone with more experience
            > here could save me and others some time by sharing step by step how
            > do this. Are you out there?
          • e1705email
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 28, 2008
              Hi Josh,

              Thanks for taking a look at this. I know it is possible, but just don't
              know the specific steps to get the job done. I have downloaded Kevin's
              and other's waypoints, but I also want to import a list of campsites
              detailed in the Wenk spreadsheet. These are not prepared for a simple
              download but must be converted. Don't want to have to do these one at a
              time. If you get stuck, let me know and I will jump over to another
              site and see if anyone there can walk me through it. I need the
              specific steps, as I've applied the general principles without success.

              Thanks,

              > H,
              > It seems as though an excel spreadsheet or CSV are all that are
              > available. I know it's possible to convert to Garmin coords...I'll let
              > you know when i find out how.
              >
              > Best
              > Josh

            • Matt Murray
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 29, 2008
                I imported the coords into Topo! and saved them as a .tpg file, then
                using GPSBabel+ I converted them from .tpg to Mapsource .gdb file. I'm
                writing this from memory, I can post more details on the process later
                if it's not clear.

                Would it be allowed for me to post the .gdb file to the Yahoo! Group
                site?

                Hike!
                -Matt

                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "e1705email" <df@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Once before I inquired if anyone knew how to import the waypoints
                > > listed in the Excel spreadsheet that is available from the above
                > link.
                > >
                > > They look good in Excel, but I have not been able to figure out how
                > > import them from there into Garmin Mapsource.
                > >
                > >Anyone with more experience
                > > here could save me and others some time by sharing step by step how
                > > do this. Are you out there?
                Matt Murray
                mhm@...
                San Francisco, CA

              • Kevin Aston
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 29, 2008
                  You could send it to me and I can post it with the other gdb, or maybe even combine them into one and I am driving the 5th and hitting the trail starting at North Lake on the 6th though, so if you get it done before then I can try them out the next two weeks and see how helpful they are, if not then I plan on being back on the 20th and can post them then. I may add some of my own waypoints for places that look like good camping spots. To be honest though, even if you have the waypoints for camping spots, rainfall and running water, falling trees, squirrels, falling rocks, changing stream flows, make it so what may be a good spot to camp this week, may suck next week and for ever. When we were at Muir Ranch campground last year, the wind came up and a tree fell while we were choosing a spot. Made us look close at what was going to fall on us in the night. (I'm not afraid of bears, but I am of falling trees) I have rarely had to look more than a few minutes before I found a
                  spot that I could camp.

                  If you look at my 13 routes, you will see that each route is made up of many, even a a couple hundred trail waypoints that I did not take the time to name when I made them. If you get on the trail and tell your GPS to follow a route, it will direct you to the next upcoming waypoint and as you pass it it will jump to the next one. I found that the GPS, and map accuracy sometimes have the waypoints a hundred feet to the side of the trail, so don't follow these thinking they will keep you in safe passage. They will give you general direction and educated distance guesses.
                  Kevin
                  www.kevinaston.com

                  Matt Murray <mhm@...> wrote: I imported the coords into Topo! and saved them as a .tpg file, then
                  using GPSBabel+ I converted them from .tpg to Mapsource .gdb file. I'm
                  writing this from memory, I can post more details on the process later
                  if it's not clear.

                  Would it be allowed for me to post the .gdb file to the Yahoo! Group
                  site?

                  Hike!
                  -Matt

                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "e1705email" <df@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Once before I inquired if anyone knew how to import the waypoints
                  > > listed in the Excel spreadsheet that is available from the above
                  > link.
                  > >
                  > > They look good in Excel, but I have not been able to figure out how
                  > > import them from there into Garmin Mapsource.
                  > >
                  > >Anyone with more experience
                  > > here could save me and others some time by sharing step by step how
                  > > do this. Are you out there?
                  Matt Murray
                  mhm@...
                  San Francisco, CA