Re: [John Muir Trail] Camp shoes and gaiters

  • Spencer Goodwine
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
    I made some camp shoes last night out of a foam pad. They aren't pretty to look at, but the pair weigh 1.4oz total and they'll keep my socks from getting dirty. I've attached photos to this email.

    On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Paul <ppatmag@...> wrote:

    Ive got my base weight to just about 23lbs. I'm wondering if camp shoes and gaiters are worth hauling? My shoes are the new laced barefoot Merrill's and weigh about 14oz . Would they be usefull to have for stream crossings? If my boots caused me issues, I could also hike in them in a pinch. But, my boots are broken in with about 50 miles on them and are quite comfortable. As for the gaiters, I'd like to hike in shorts a fair amount of the time so I'm a bit concerned about dust/rocks in the boots.

    This is my last decision to make before Sunday. Wouldn't mind dropping the weight, but want to be smart about it

  • Spencer Goodwine

      Message 3 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
        As someone earlier posted you can buy chinese croc type sandals from Wallmart  for $10 and they weigh next to nothing.  I bought some and it
        appears they will be fine for water and camp use.
        Jack

        Message 4 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
          I know this is not the best group for the topic but it is the one that is most likely to have some help.

          Last night I got an offer to join a group who has a Half Dome permit on Saturday morning.

          They are leaving the valley floor at 7AM.  They do not have room for me in their RV (and I don't want to sleep in there anyway)

          I have my pack packed but have no idea about how the camping or logistics to get to the trailhead by 7AM are going to work.

          So when I get in my van from Sacramento a 5PM and head south what are my options for Friday\Saturday nights that get me to the trailhead?

          Am open to all options that are not going to get me thrown in jail.   Normally I would just wander up the trail and find a spot but my understanding is that this does not work in the Yosemite Valley area and there is no place to put my van anyway.

          Suggestions?

          Mark "Blankie" Liechty

        • robert shattuck
          Message 5 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
            I'm in a hurry now, but . . . there's a hotel and a turn-off and a road that goes out to Hetch-Hetchy or thereabouts. Basically, you drive up the there and camp behind the hotel in the campground––less than a minute or so beyond the hotel. Get up around six and drive into the park where you will then park your car at the Happy Isles long-term parking and be on your way with your group.

            Now if I can just remember the name of the hotel?

            Bob

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            Message 6 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
              Be smart, take the gaiters. I tend to get a lot of this and that in my boots and the gaiters keep it all out. They also keep your socks that much cleaner. Some people are bothered that they might make your feet hot, which is like saying they weigh a lot and maybe you shouldn't take them. They don't and you should.

              BOB

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: ppatmag@...
              Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:19:12 +0000
              Subject: [John Muir Trail] Camp shoes and gaiters

              Message 7 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
                oops, more time than I thought . . . it's called The Evergreen Lodge

                It's got great food, which is a mighty fine thing before you jump back in your car and head down the road to pitch camp. I only did it once . . . we drove in, tossed out bags on the ground . . . home sweet home. got up very early and headed into the park.

                Again, I am slightly vague on it now, but there were easy and free spots just a ways behind the lodge. You might just stop in there and ask them, once you get there.

                And there might be other places in the area, good luck.

                BOB

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                From: bobolonius@...
                Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:31:06 +0000

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                From: news@...
                Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 08:22:49 -0700

              • jaymiche@ymail.com
                Message 8 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
                  I finished the JMT on July 2. I wore pants and never needed gaiters. There were two stream crossing less than knee deep. You could do them barefoot but I wouldn't take the risk... one cut foot and you're in trouble

                  Message 9 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
                    Besides, one of the owners of The Evergreen Lodge was the person who originally set up this group (Dan Braun).

                    Message 10 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
                      I agree with Bob. Gaiters really protect your feet from blisters because they keep the grit out. Otherwise you will constantly be stopping to get out that annoying pebble (or not stopping and developing a blister). True with boots and really true with less-high footwear.

                      On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

                      Be smart, take the gaiters.
                    • Joe MacLeish
                      Message 11 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012

                        Just to throw some pepper in the soup.  I have hike the requisite 30 years in the Sierras and never used gaiters except when cross country skiing and never missed them.  Even last year in July over Muir pass I didn’t need them.  I wear normal light weight mid high Vasque hiking boots.  Maybe if you are wearing low top (tennie style) boots they might be needed.  In any normal year I take 2 oz water slippers for stream crossings.  Last year I took a one lb (for the pair) NorthFace water shoes but this was for many rough thigh deep crossings but I won’t take those for another 43 years or whenever the next big winter comes.  John tends to carry stuff when in doubt.  I tend not to carry it when in doubt.

                        Joe

                        I agree with Bob. Gaiters really protect your feet from blisters because they keep the grit out. Otherwise you will constantly be stopping to get out that annoying pebble (or not stopping and developing a blister). True with boots and really true with less-high footwear.

                        On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

                        Be smart, take the gaiters.

                      • mitchny08
                        Message 12 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
                          Try http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com They are spandex and weight very little. I have been using them with my trail running for 2 years and they kept the dirt out of your shoe.

                          Mitch
                        • Herb
                          Message 13 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
                            Paul--

                            23 pounds is a significant base weight. Coming out of VVR/MR you will have a big load, so avoiding another almost 1 pound for the Merrrills should be considered.

                            If you are just looking for camp shoes and maybe a crossing, you could find somethig lighter as has been suggested by others. I have made shoes from a pad as posted earlier, and they last for about a trip. Ugly as sin but get the job done and are 2 ounces or less. Also consider some zemgear minimalist shoes http://www.zemgear.com/ . I use them to train my feet and have been pleased; theu also work nicely around camp and for my size 12 feet are about 5 ounces for the pair as I recall.

                            I would join in the recommendation to avoid barefoot water crossings, although you will not have much to deal with this year. Consider just getting your boots soaked for the two wet-foot crossings you may have and save the weight of the Merrills. Take off your socks and remove the liner and you should not be sloshing around for too long after the crossing. Switch out the socks after about a half-hour and dry the first set on your pack as you hike. Bet you will hardly notice the moisture. If you have time before your hike test it out and see if that works--it will save you some weight.

                            I only started using scree gaitors after I went to trail runners. Unless you have a low or mid level boot, the gaitors may not have that much use. If you do go with gaitors, go with scree gaitors since they are far lighter than those designed to deal with snow.

                            Enjoy your hike.

                            Herb

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <ppatmag@...> wrote:

                            > Ive got my base weight to just about 23lbs. I'm wondering if camp shoes and gaiters are worth hauling? My shoes are the new laced barefoot Merrill's and weigh about 14oz . Would they be usefull to have for stream crossings? If my boots caused me issues, I could also hike in them in a pinch. But, my boots are broken in with about 50 miles on them and are quite comfortable. As for the gaiters, I'd like to hike in shorts a fair amount of the time so I'm a bit concerned about dust/rocks in the boots.
                            >
                            > This is my last decision to make before Sunday. Wouldn't mind dropping the weight, but want to be smart about it

                          • Kim Fishburn
                            Message 14 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
                              I've used these. I liked them but since I brush my feet together as I walk they only last about 50 miles. They do have some cool patterns. I got the ones with skulls with red eyes.

                                I know it's a little late for you, but for great camp shoes and stream crossings check out "zemgear.com: