Permethrin (more concentrated version)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2012
      A\I'm curious whether anyone has used this product to treat clothes as a mosquito repellent?

      DurationTN Permethrin 10% Concentrate

      The Sawyer Permethrin sold at REI is 0.5% active ingredient and 99.5% inert (probably water). 24 oz. of the stuff in a spray bottle is said to treat 4 sets of clothing (for $16).

      The DurationTM brand is 20 times more concentrated (10% vs. 0.5%).

      This is a soak in, rather than a spray-on, product.  Sawyer makes both soak-in and spray-on versions though REI presently carries only the spray-on version.  I've always preferred the soak in since I think it is more likely to thoroughly treat the clothing.

      Sawyer soak-in directions call for one part of the 0.5% product and 2 parts water.

      Looks like you use this DurationTM version stuff cut 20 times as much - 1 TB of this plus about 3 cups water. They would end up equivalent and you'd end up with the same stuff a lot cheaper.

      It is $41 at Amazon for 8 oz, said to be enough to treat 16 sets of clothing, which seems right given the higher concentration - about $2.56 per clothing set vs. $4 per clothing set for the Sawyers at REI   Not a huge difference, but worth thinking about or would be if I was buying Permethrin for a group.

      The one reviewer at Amazon said he felt it was less good than Sawyer's though he felt it was easier to apply.

      As I have noted in the past, the US Military uses Permethrin at the 40% concentration (Sawyer makes it for them).  I've always assumed that this is why the military says their permethrin is more long-lasting than consumer version made by Sawyer (which claims only 42 days of effectiveness - DurationTM makes the same limited claim).