Re: [John Muir Trail] Shipping Fuel and timing to send out resupplies

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
    Ken Powers kindly sent me a copy of his well-researched mailing regulations page (covers things like lighters and Esbit as well as traditional stove fuels)

    I attach it and will put a copy in our Files area in the Resupply folder

    On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Paul <ppatmag@...> wrote:

    I am getting ready to send out resupplies, and the sidebar for shipping fuel does not load.

  • Don Amundson
    Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
      The issue is with mailing via parcel post not other methods. Below is from the Red's resupply form.  I would use priority mail.  A flat rate box might work for you depending on how big your resupply is. Two weeks would be way more than enough time for your package to arrive.  Make your life easy and just buy canisters at your resupply points.

      We are in Mammoth Lakes approximately 4 times per week. We will pick up
      packages only when we are in the Mammoth area. (Suggestion: Mail your package so that it
      arrives several days before you get to Red’s Meadow. Parcel Post recently seems to be taking 30 days, so if your
      arrival at Red’s is less than 30 days from mailing your package, mail it 1st class, so you will not be detained or
      inconvenienced)

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: ppatmag@...
      Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 16:47:43 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Shipping Fuel and timing to send out resupplies

      I am getting ready to send out resupplies, and the sidebar for shipping fuel does not load. What are the requirements for sending out fuel canisters? I figure I will throw in to 100 gram cans in each package.

      Also: On the Reds site, they say it takes 30 days to receive a package?!?!? Whats up with this? Is someone walking the packages by foot to mammoth? I was figuring i'd give myself 2 weeks before I head out to send packages.

      Thanks for any help on this