Re: How much Butane/Isobutane/Propane Canisters (and get where) for doing JMT Solo Boil-then-Use Bag Cooking?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2012
      Duh,

      I got one answer to this accomplished tonight -- straight from here:

      http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

      Can I pack stove fuel in my bucket?

      Common carriers don’t allow flammable fluids in packages that travel by air. We strongly suggest you use the US Postal Service. They don’t allow flammables. At the ranch we have white gas and denatured alcohol for sale by the ounce. We carry Camping GAZ screw-on and punch-type iso propane canisters. We also carry Primus brand screw-on iso propane canisters. They are compatible with the following backpacking stoves: GAZ Turbo 270, Jetboil, Primus, Snow Peak and the following MSR stoves—WindPro, Super Fly, Pocket Rocket, and Reactor. They are in stock at all times; you do not need to reserve one. Our prices are reasonable.

      If you’re an Esbit user, you may want to change to something else since they are losing popularity. We still have them, though.

      Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
      _

      On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
      I'm trying to put together a spreadsheet that can be uploaded to our file library.  I'll give contributors a "hat tip".  For those who use the JetBoil cooking system, only use it to boil water, and immediately pour the boiling water into a food bag (and immediately shut off the stove), how many meals do you get depending on the size of the canister purchased?

      Second, which of the below size canisters are available at which of the following supply points on the JMT:

      1.  Yosemite Valley
      2.  Tuolumne Meadows General Store
      3.  Reds Meadow General Store
      4.  Vermillion Resort Store
      5.  Muir Trail Ranch Store

      Last, is your knowledge based upon personal use or personal observed use?  If so, how recent is your knowledge?  Thanks!

      Thanks!

      Fuel Canisters Needed for Solo Cooking with JetBoil
      Isobutane/propane fuel mix
      GramsEquiv OzNumber of MealsExample
      45016
      Jetpower Fuel : 450G
      2208
      MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister, 8 oz.
      2308
      Jetpower Fuel : 230G
      1154
      Optimus 4 oz Butane/Isobutane/Propane Fuel
      1003.5
      JETBOIL Jetpower Fuel Canister