Dryness

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 29, 2012
      Just did a 3 night loop trip from Horseshoe Meadows over Cottonwood and New Army Pass. Stayed 1 night at Chicken Spring Lake where it was incredibly windy. Going up New Army Pass (12,300 or so), was triple incredibly windy, and that night at Long Lake was gusty too. There was a 1/4 inch layer of ice on an adjacent pond in the morning. (Also abundant TP in the bushes, yuk).

      By the second day my nose was totally stuffed. I think it was a combination of dryness, wind, and blowing sand. By the time we came out it was really bad. Now it is 3 days post trip and just getting back to normal. Any suggestions on how to prevent this, and what to do to help?

      A second issue was cracked fingers. It's almost as if my fingers see the Sierras and crack! It's incredibly painful and makes it hard to do any fine movement with them. I'm thinking I need to wear gloves with full fingers (not cut-offs) all the time, and slather on something like Bag Balm at night. I ended up covering the cracks with blister bandaids,which adhere well and stay put for 2-3,days. Any ideas on prevention?

      Cheers! Barbara
    • charliepolecat
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29, 2012
        I echo Bag balm and cotton gloves - as you suggest. The combination works well for chapped, split and dry fingers.
      • charliepolecat
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29, 2012
          I find cotton gloves and bag balm works well for split fingers when the air gets cold and dry.
        • Joe MacLeish
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29, 2012

            Sorry you have that problem.  I thought I was the only one.  I Vaseline my thumbs and index fingers every day twice and put on band aids as soon as it looks like they are starting to crack.  I bring a lot of finger size bandaids.  Last time I wore very light weight silk gloves. The gloves were destroyed by the end of the trip but my fingers only marginally cracked.  I also try to keep my fingers out of the cold eater as much s possible.  Sometimes I take rubber dishwashing gloves.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 29, 2012
              Couple suggestions here on the dry fingertips problem, which I share, though in a milder form than that Barbara described:

              Another possibility is Vitamin E oil - since you can get this in capsule form and break open the capsules, it might help and you wouldn't have to carry much - maybe one capsule for every other day.

              On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 29, 2012
                  I was thinking about what climbers do - Im definitely going to look into that.  In the meantime, any ideas about noses?!

                  Barbara

                  On Jun 29, 2012, at 7:20 PM, Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd <rebecca@...> wrote:

                  I run into that problem on the sides of my fingers after day 5 or 6 and started carrying a roll of climbing tape. I'll wrap my finger tips, sometimes before they start cracking, and leave it on for a couple of days. The tape gets really dirty and tattered but stays on until I choose to remove it. Here is a pic of my sunburned and taped 'mummy hands' a few years ago on the JMT:

                • Linda Reitz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 30, 2012
                    Last year I wore white cotton gloves I had found at Bed Bath and Beyond. Actually they were intended for wearing at night with hand cream. I wore them in the day just to keep the sun of my hands. The good news is that my hands were not only exposed to the sun, but my skin was actually in better condition after two weeks on the trail! I think the gloves might have had been treated with somethihng wonderfull.

                    http://photos.calipidder.com/GalleriesByDate/2007/JMT-Piute-Bridge-to-Humphreys/piutehumpreysbasingoldentrout0/890525350_cVDGo-L.jpg

                    http://www.livestrong.com/article/73361-dry-skin-fingertips/

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 30, 2012
                      thanks for all your ideas!

                      Barbara

                    • mkloomis2315
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 5, 2012
                        When my younger son developed a crack in his lower lip (at about age 10) that wouldn't heal and wouldn't heal, we went to the doctor who sent us to the pediatric surgeon for evaluation for surgery to repair it. Before going through with that, I read something about topical vitamin E, got a bottle of wheat germ oil (rich in Vitamin E) at the coop, and dabbed it on each night after he was asleep (since he disliked the taste when awake). After months of staying cracked, the lip healed within a week or so. I am not normally one for "alternative" treatments (or conventional ones either, for that matter) but this did seem to have a dramatic effect. Another thing that might help is tea tree oil. For a while I seemed to be getting the puffiness of minor infection with skin breaches, for example scraped hands, and triple antibiotic wasn't having much effect, but a dab of tea tree oil has consistently cleared it up. Good luck!

                        Mina

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 5, 2012
                          Mina,

                          The worst problem I've had hiking for multiple weeks in the High Sierras for about 6 years was cracked lips that would take 1-2 months after the hike to heal.  About 2 years ago I started using LypSyl Intense Protection LypMoisturizer which has Swedish Beeswax, Organic Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Vitamin E, and other ingredients.  I have not had a problem since.
                          _

                          On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM, mkloomis2315 <minafall2004_7@...> wrote:

                          When my younger son developed a crack in his lower lip (at about age 10) that wouldn't heal and wouldn't heal, we went to the doctor who sent us to the pediatric surgeon for evaluation for surgery to repair it. Before going through with that, I read something about topical vitamin E, got a bottle of wheat germ oil (rich in Vitamin E) at the coop, and dabbed it on each night after he was asleep (since he disliked the taste when awake). After months of staying cracked, the lip healed within a week or so. I am not normally one for "alternative" treatments (or conventional ones either, for that matter) but this did seem to have a dramatic effect. Another thing that might help is tea tree oil. For a while I seemed to be getting the puffiness of minor infection with skin breaches, for example scraped hands, and triple antibiotic wasn't having much effect, but a dab of tea tree oil has consistently cleared it up. Good luck!

                          Mina

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

                          > Just did a 3 night loop trip from Horseshoe Meadows over Cottonwood and New Army Pass. Stayed 1 night at Chicken Spring Lake where it was incredibly windy. Going up New Army Pass (12,300 or so), was triple incredibly windy, and that night at Long Lake was gusty too. There was a 1/4 inch layer of ice on an adjacent pond in the morning. (Also abundant TP in the bushes, yuk).
                          >
                          > By the second day my nose was totally stuffed. I think it was a combination of dryness, wind, and blowing sand. By the time we came out it was really bad. Now it is 3 days post trip and just getting back to normal. Any suggestions on how to prevent this, and what to do to help?
                          >
                          > A second issue was cracked fingers. It's almost as if my fingers see the Sierras and crack! It's incredibly painful and makes it hard to do any fine movement with them. I'm thinking I need to wear gloves with full fingers (not cut-offs) all the time, and slather on something like Bag Balm at night. I ended up covering the cracks with blister bandaids,which adhere well and stay put for 2-3,days. Any ideas on prevention?
                          >
                          > Cheers! Barbara

                        • cjoslyn99
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 6, 2012
                            May be a repeat of what others have said but I have similar issues.

                            Nose = I use plain saline nose spray (i.e., non-medicated).

                            Fingers = Mine crack at the edges where it meets my finger nails. Wear
                            those thin cotton gloves at night to bed w/ vaseline or heavy duty
                            moisturizer. If you know you have problems w/ this, start doing this a
                            week before you head out. May also want to wear gloves when you're
                            trekking. It's easier to prevent than to cure once it happens.

                            Lips = SPF 30 lip balm and start before you go, similar to fingers. If
                            you end up w/ a really bad cracked lip that won't heal, probably nothing
                            you can do on the trail but your Dr. may be able to use skin glue on you
                            once you get home.

                            I also think generally you can help yourself out a lot by staying super
                            hydrated.