Re: sanitation on the trail

  • Don
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2012
      I was trying to resist the annual toilet paper discussion but what the heck. My thoughts after a few trail miles and trial/error experiences.

      1. I use 1/4 sheets of blue shop towels. I find one per dump works by the wipe fold, wipe fold method so it's easy to figure how many to take. Initial wiping with whatever is handy may help. Make sure if you use a pine cone that it's facing the right direction. You may find that on the trail your pooping more efficiently than at home. Something about the food we eat out there and the way we squat. I personally think toilet seats are poorly designed and not conducive to efficient pooping. After you've had some experience pooping in the woods you may agree. If you really want to lessen your impact consider not bringing any toilet paper. There's a book written on the subject.
      The Whitney Zone wag bags have been talked about. I'd like to know where others put them before making it to Whitney Portal. The bottom was chewed out of my full wag by something at Guitar Lake one year and cleaning up that mess wasn't pleasant.

      2. A bandana bath works for me. I'll soak my feet in water every night and rinse off the grime on my legs. No soap, sanitizers, wipes necessary. I rarely use bug spray and sun screen is minimal. Others may think I'm polluting the water-I don't, at least no more than we all do fording a creek. I'm getting to old to withstand the thermal shock of jumping in for a full swim/rinse. Warm Lake across the river from MTR is an exception (and of course the hot springs in the meadow there.

      3. I carry on pair of pants (zip off), one pair of underwear, one extra pair of socks. One long sleeve and one short sleeve smartwool top. I do wash/rinse out my undies, tops and socks. When I "wash" clothes it's in a 2 gallon zip lock I use to store my shelter, with a few drops of Bonner's soap. It involves swishing everything in the bag and emptying it out 100 feet from the water source, back to the water source to refill, rinse and dump 100 feet away again. You get the picture. Remember you have a couple of opportunities along the trail to do an real wash (body and clothes) by using the facilities at Red's Meadow and VVR. Both have washer/dryers and hot showers available.

      By the end of your trip you'll have worked out your own system and next year when the subject comes up you be on the answer side of the discussion.