RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Leaving a car in Happy Isles

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2012
      "Have any of you ever left a vehicle in Happy Isles for the time you've been on the trail?"

      Yes, twice. no problems. As others have said, make sure you do a thorough cleaning on the interior of your car. Floss the interior, especially if you are like my friend whose kids managed to deposit every kind of cracker and candy crumb in every crevice.

      And don't eat in your car on the way up. Also, when you get to the turn off to go into the Happy Isles long-term parking lot, if youu see the sign that says, "lot full" drive in and look, as it never seems to be full––they're just lazy about removing the sign.

      BOB

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: bob@...
      Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:17:00 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Leaving a car in Happy Isles

      I left my truck there at the trailhead parking area last year. Other than covered with dirt, it was fine. There are also bear boxes there where you can store anything that might entice a bear to break into your car. On the way back, catch the early morning bus out of Lone Pine, transfer at Lee Vining to the Yarts bus to Yosemite Valley. You'll get there in the mid afternoon. Very inexpensive.