Transit from Devil's Postpile to Tuolumne

  • bethm54321
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26 6:58 AM
      Hi all,
      A friend is planning to join me for the section from Tuolumne to Devil's Postpile, then we'll take the shuttle out to Mammoth where I will resupply and she will take the YARTS bus back up to Yosemite. It looks like there are buses leaving Mammoth at 8 and at 9 in the morning. Will we need to spend the night in a motel in Mammoth in order to catch the bus, or is there a way to camp?
      thanks,
      Beth
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26 9:36 AM
        "Will we need to spend the night in a motel in Mammoth in order to catch the bus, or is there a way to camp?"

        Beth,

        As poor as I usually am, I have always managed to stay in a motel in Mammoth––and so I've not researched the camp grounds too much––besides which, when I get off the trail, I dread the thought of being stuck and having to camp another night.

        But yeah, there's camping right there in Mammoth at the old shady rest campground, which I think is pretty much across the street from the YARTS stop . . .  and I think at the RV park???

        Someone here will know for sure . . . I think there are a few who have stayed in the campgrounds, otherwise, all the cheap motels are along the main drag there, in mammoth, and all within a few to ten minutes of the YARTS stop.

        The Shilo, while right there, costs about twice as much as just walking across the street.

        Bob

        forkfestreview.wordpress.com
        sparklefart.blogspot.com

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: bethmitchell2@...
        Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:58:53 +0000
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Transit from Devil's Postpile to Tuolumne

      • jaymiche@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
          I stayed at the Shiloh Inn for $118 out the door. I had already been out on a 3 night trip in Little Lakes Valley and wanted to recharge, clean clothes etc before starting the JMT. Note: The bust stop at Shiloh is actually in the back of the McD's parking lot... covered shelter.