Re: [John Muir Trail] Extra Yosemite Backcounty Permits

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 20, 2012
      And they ask for the leader's ID when you pick up your permit.

      Barbara

      On Jun 20, 2012, at 3:23 PM, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

      If you specify an alternate leader, no problem, but technically only the leader (or listed alternate) can pick up and "use" the permit.  Everyone else is just along for the ride.

      Are Reservations And Permits Transferable?
      No. Once the forest has issued an advanced reservation for a wilderness permit to the leader of the party, it is valid only for that person or any of the listed alternate leaders. The permit authorizes the permit holder to enter into the wilderness with a specific number of people.

      http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev7_018115

      However, from a practical perspective, I don't personally believe there is a real risk here that rangers will be checking ID along the trail and boot you out if your leader goes down halfway in.  I think the intent here is not to have someone hog all the permits and sell as a sideline business.