Northbound Resupply From Cottonwood Lakes

  • dearmattj
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
      Hello,

      This is my first time doing the JMT and I'm looking for advice on resupply points heading north out of Cottonwood Lakes - all the way to Yosemite.

      The info I've found online has proven to be confusing and not comprehensive. Can you help? I'm planning on hiking 12-20 miles per day on average. Two hikers. Hiking from late June to mid -late July 2012.

      Thank you!!!

      PS: I have already sent one package to Muir Trail Ranch - it's on it's way at least.
    • Dave Pex
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
        The first resupply close to JMT NOBO from Cottonwood is MTR, so you have that taken care of. I'm doing a NOBO in August starting from Cottonwood with a resupply at VVR. It's about 147 miles (I'm doing some cross-country), and I am planning on covering this distance in eight days. Hiker barrels at MTR were rather overflowing when I was there in 2010, so I am only carrying six dinners with the plan to hit the barrels at MTR for dinner #7. Still anticipate a challenge in packing the bear vault, but it beats adding a couple of days to do the Kearsarge resupply.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
          It is hard to get easily resupplied between Cottonwood and MTR. Best plan is probably to plan that stretch without a resupply. At 12-20 miles per day, MTR is 7-10 days from Cottonwood, plus one day if you want to summit Whitney on your way. It's challenging to get that much food into a bearcan, but if you can make it to Crabtree Meadow in one long day (20 miles?), there are bearboxes there and plenty after that.

          http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes/BC.html

          If this is too far, consider exiting over Kearsarge Pass to the Onion Valley Trailhead and either having food held there for you at Berner's (call Danica - contact info below - to find how to get them to store it for you) or hitchike from the TH to Independence and pick up a resupply there that you have mailed to yourself General Delivery. Kearsarge Pass is roughly halfway between Cottonwood and MTR and will take you about one day out of your way (15 mile RT from JMT to Onion Valley TH).

          (If you have one of the guides or databooks, Kearsage Pass is at SoBo mile 180 or so )

          Berner's Contact info

          The numbers are 760-387-2797 pack station up at Pine Creek Canyon, Bishop, CA;
          800-962-0775 for reservations;
          760-387-2627 winter office/home;

          They can be slow at responding.

          You will have a fair climb on your first day and will be sleeping high, so I'd try to get acclimated first.

          Other (often expensive) options at

          (See links to Resupply 5).

          North from MTR, probably you need only resupply at Red's Meadow or Mammoth Lakes.

          For Red's Meadow resupply call 760-934-2345 or see website

          You could also mail yourself a resupply to Mammoth Lakes P.O. General Delivery. There is a free shuttle that runs from Red's Meadow into Mammoth Lakes that should be operational by the time you get there.  If not, hike over Mammoth Pass to Horseshoe Lake and take shuttle from there into town.

          On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM, dearmattj <mjordon@...> wrote:

          Hello,

          This is my first time doing the JMT and I'm looking for advice on resupply points heading north out of Cottonwood Lakes - all the way to Yosemite.

          The info I've found online has proven to be confusing and not comprehensive. Can you help? I'm planning on hiking 12-20 miles per day on average. Two hikers. Hiking from late June to mid -late July 2012.

          Thank you!!!

          PS: I have already sent one package to Muir Trail Ranch - it's on it's way at least.

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
            "This is my first time doing the JMT and I'm looking for advice on resupply points heading north out of Cottonwood Lakes."

            How much food did you send to MTR?

            If you sent a resupply to MTR then . . . you could send another one to Vermilion Valley Resort, but that's only another two days away at "12-20 miles per day"

            Not to be nit-picky, but "12-20" . . . how about 12-15 miles a day or 17-20 . . . .  just a big gap between 12 and 20

            Anyway . . . you could send another one to Red's meadow, which would be another three or so days from the VVR, assuming you keep up the "12 to 20"  and then your last resupply would be Tuolomne Meadows, where you could easily buy enough food to get you down to the valley and Happy Isles.

            Otherwise, your options are to either head back out to 395 to hit Independence, then Bishop . . . or you could pay a lot of money and have a packer bring in your food . . .

            Hiring a packer means you have to meet the packer, which means, you could arrive a day early and have to wait, or you could miss the train.

            Heading out to resupply can be a two to three day journey: leave the JMT, go out over a decent size pass, down to the trailhead, find a ride, get in town, maybe on a sunday, wait until monday, turn around, thumb back up . . .

            Heading out on the west side for anything besides totally bailing on the trip, is not really an option.

            Why did you choose to go south to north?

            I'm thinking you were able to get a permit out of  the Cottonwood area . . . most hikers do the JMT north to south as it gives you the time to get broken in . . . gain altitude as you go and be ready to knock off the high passes at the end.

            If you start at the end, you might finish "at the end" or at least it'll be a good deal harder to take on all the big passes right from the start.

            And I've preached this before but . . . you're taking on a grand adventure here and most adventures, well, they might start easy, like climbing Everest, but the goal is to climb the mountain . . . higher and higher every day.

            To me, Whitney, the summit, the end of the JMT has always been the goal, to sit up there, high above it all and realize a dream, rather than finish by walking down into Yosemite, to the noise and crowds and . . .

            Ultimately you'll be a lot happier and healthier if you do it north to south, but the first time is always a learning experience, isn't it,  and this is just my opinion . . .

            Bob

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012

              If you get resupplied at Charlotte Lake by the Berner’s you don’t have to meet the packer.  They will leave your goods in the Ranger Station Bear Box for you to pick up +/-2 days.

              Joe

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
                Well there are 3 point from MTR, Lone Pine, Independence, and Bishop (South Lake pack station). For me the big point in how long it will take you to reach each of  those junctions. All of them you have to hike out unless you use a packer. Last year I went NOBO, if I had to do it again I would have resupply myself in Independence and South Lake pack station. Only to keep my pack weight down I had 9 days of food once I left Independence which at the time was way to much weight to be caring FOR ME. Keep in mind that the first part of your trip you will be hitting the 5 major passes in the start while SOBO hiker have the first half of their trip to get their tail legs. Am sure there will be snow over the pass but not as bad as it was last year.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
                  Good list, Ed!  One added point, at Berners' Pack Outfits (there are two):

                  Pine Creek Pack Station
                  PO Box 968
                  Bishop, CA 93515
                  Tel: 760-387-2797
                  Email: pinecreekps@...
                  and

                  Sequoia Kings Pack Trains
                  PO Box 209
                  Independence, CA 93526
                  Tel: 800-962-0775
                  Email: bernerspack@...

                  Anyway, they also offer the ability to mail your supplies to them and pick them up at OnionValley Trailhead, where their pack station is for at least half the price it costs to have the packers meet you at either Kearsarge Lake or Charlotte Lake.  You're able to take a shower there too.  It's only about a 1/2 day hike to go from the JMT and up and over the Kearsarge pass to get to the TH, so you can use this option and only lose a day of your hike.  Call or email for your price.  You have to be persistent though if you don't hear immediately.  But it sure pays off.  I'm using their service for the fourth time this summer.

                  Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
                  _

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
                    I agree Dave - that's about my itinerary to MTR also now that I finally sorted the permit out online - man that was a pain - hiking is much easier! :)

                    Thank you for your feedback and help - it is appreciated!

                    Matt & Kim

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
                      John;

                      Thank you so much for taking your time to put this together for me. It really is a confidence booster as I just started the research process last night and now I have a permit and a pretty solid itinerary of about 15-20 miles per day!

                      I really appreciate it John!

                      Matt (& Kim)

> [...]
                      > over Mammoth Pass to Horseshoe Lake and take shuttle from there into town.
                      >
                      > John Curran Ladd
                      > 1616 Castro Street
                      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                      > 415-648-9279
                      >

                      > On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM, dearmattj <mjordon@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > This is my first time doing the JMT and I'm looking for advice on resupply
                      > > points heading north out of Cottonwood Lakes - all the way to Yosemite.
                      > >
                      > > The info I've found online has proven to be confusing and not
                      > > comprehensive. Can you help? I'm planning on hiking 12-20 miles per day on
                      > > average. Two hikers. Hiking from late June to mid -late July 2012.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you!!!
                      > >
                      > > PS: I have already sent one package to Muir Trail Ranch - it's on it's way

                    • dearmattj
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
                        Thanks Bob,

                        I realized that in order to do what I need to do - i need to bump my mileage up to 15-20 per day at least which shouldn't be an issue. The reason I'm heading North is because I'm getting a ride from Palm Springs to Lone Pine and I can't complain about that! Also, I'm getting a ride out of Yosemite from another friend (and hopefully, some river rafting too!). I know it doesn't seem right, but I've had a few friends that have done it that way and they were very pleased about it. To tell you the truth, I'm really looking forward to hiking down into Yosemite! I think it will be a great way to end the trip.

                        Thanks again for your assistance and feedback Bob - it really helps boost confidence since I just started planning this last night.

                        Matt (&Kim)

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
                          "I know it doesn't seem right, but I've had a few friends that have done it that way and they were very pleased about it"

                          Matt,

                          it's all alright, just get out there . . . Logistically it makes sense for you, but like I said, my opinion is, Whitney is just a far better way to end a trip like this (and you'll miss soaking in the Dow Villa hot tub) and maybe after you do it a few times, you'll see why, or not . . . Get out there!

                          Bob

                          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                          From: mjordon@...
                          Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 04:52:09 +0000

> [...]

                          > Bobhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480
                          >

                          > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: mjordon@...
                          > Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 23:28:07 +0000
                          > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Northbound Resupply From Cottonwood Lakes

                          > Hello,
                          >

                          > This is my first time doing the JMT and I'm looking for advice on resupply points heading north out of Cottonwood Lakes - all the way to Yosemite.
                          >

                          > The info I've found online has proven to be confusing and not comprehensive. Can you help? I'm planning on hiking 12-20 miles per day on average. Two hikers. Hiking from late June to mid -late July 2012.
                          >

                          > Thank you!!!
                          >

                          > PS: I have already sent one package to Muir Trail Ranch - it's on it's way at least.

                        • Randy Topken
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012

                            So what is a ballpark price for having them drop at Charlotte Lake? When planning a hike - can a group of separate thru’s hire their services and split the cost? Has anyone done this in the past?

                            I’m looking at doing the JMT next year (2013) with one other person - and I’m guessing a pack mule can carry more than a 2-person resupply?

                            thanks!

                            randy

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012

                                Here are the things I know.  I always ask Danica to send my stuff in on a trip that is already going so I am mostly revenue and not so much cost.  That immediately drops the price a lot.  Last year I called her (and made my reservations) before any trails were open and got the early bird special.  That knocked some more off.  I was only one person so that might have bumped it up a bit.  She asked that I direct anybody who asks to her for prices because there are a lot of variables.  I can tell you what I have paid by being flexible is a lot less than the opening price.   They are great, I have used them a number of times over 20+ years and they are all over the place so they don’t answer their phone as much as you might expect.  Phone them, leave messages, and email them.  They eventually do get back and once the deal is done they are reliable.

                                Roleigh mentioned George Durkee has moved to another RS (he liked the Berner’s) and I don’t know who the new Ranger is at Charlotte Lake or if it matters.

                                This is my first time doing the JMT and I'm looking for advice on resupply points heading north out of Cottonwood Lakes - all the way to Yosemite.

                                The info I've found online has proven to be confusing and not comprehensive. Can you help? I'm planning on hiking 12-20 miles per day on average. Two hikers. Hiking from late June to mid -late July 2012.

                                Thank you!!!

                                PS: I have already sent one package to Muir Trail Ranch - it's on it's way at least.

                                Image removed by sender.

                              • cjoslyn99
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
                                  Call Berners as rates may have changed but if you book early you can
                                  save a lot. I got a rate of $250 last year booking in early March and
                                  the minimum rate was $450 for single mule single packer (will haul up to
                                  125 lbs I think). You can split among different groups of thruhikers as
                                  long as you can get your respective acts together.