RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Using bear boxes south of MTR?

  • M L
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2012

      I have been phasing through all these responses trying to determine the best method for us. The bearikade expedition canister sounds like a good bet, but I would have to figure out what to do with its bulk first. I have a 65 liter pack right now that is going to be fully loaded with my BV500 and everything else. If I got the bearikade canister I suppose I could lash it to my pack's brain and just carry the food in a separate sack internally. I am considering getting an 80 liter pack to be used instead of the 65 if push comes to shove.

      Last summer my husband and I rented Bearikade Expeditions for our hike.  My pack is a Mariposa Plus (approx. 59 liters total, 46 for the main bag) and my husband's pack is an Exos 58.  Each of us was able to fit our Expedition in our pack, vertically, with our other gear under and around it.  I guess it depends on what else you are bringing on your trip.  We try to be lightweight (tarp, no chairs, etc.) but we wouldn't qualify as "ultralight."  My pack had all our shared gear--tarp, cook kit, first aid, etc.  My husband's Exos is Osprey's curved frame type, and even with that he was able to use the Expedition.  So yes you should be able to use a 65 liter pack with an Expedition.

      Mina
    • John
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2012
        FYI

        My Bearikade Weekender fits vertically into my Osprey Atmos 50 with room to spare and not extending the collar of the pack's main compartment.  If I had an Expedition (at the same diameter and 4" longer), I know I could extend the collar and make it work in my pack at only 50L and with a "self-modified", curved Osprey frame.

        Like Mina said, I too would fall into the lightweight rather than UL category, so the rest of my load isn't minimalist nor full of luxuries either.  Be sure to take a look at your packing strategy and efficiency around your canister before resorting to strapping it on the outside of your pack.

        John

[...]

      • Joe MacLeish
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2012

          Endorsing I think what Barbara said, try Berner’s packers.  You can get a resupply on the trail or at Charlotte Lake (a little more than half way to Whitney).  You don’t have to carry the full load and your stuff fits in a weekender Bearicade.  I have only used the weekender for years and it almost always works.  There might be a bit of extra on the first day out of MTR.  The total load is certainly less.  Weekender weighs less than the Expedition and the total weight of food is almost half.  Try it, you’ll like it,

          Joe