Re: any Vegans doing JMT?

  • vege_matic
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2012
      Hi Tim - I'm vegan and thru hiked the JMT last summer. For my suppers I used Mary Janes Farm. I ordered a few different meals in bulk and portioned them at home. They have several vegan options. I purchased a few things from Outdoor Herbivore a couple months in advance to try. I thought they were okay but discovered that their nutritional information included a packet of olive oil in each meal that didn't always work for me taste-wise. Overall, I much preferred the flavor of MJF, although OH without the oil wasn't bad.

      For snacks I visited my local Trader Joe's for dried fruits and nuts, some interesting pretzels for dipping in peanut butter, and their 1-pound bars of chocolate (some are milk-free). From a local store I ordered a few cases of Clif Bar products. I usually had a Builder bar for breakfast. LaraBars are really good as are ProBars. A few Clif products are not vegan but most are. I think all LaraBars and ProBars are vegan.

      Along the way I found nothing at the grill at Tuolumne; at Reds Meadow and at VVR I was able to get oatmeal and toast with peanut butter for breakfast (I had to ask for the oatmeal *without* milk or butter). I didn't try to eat at MTR. At Whitney Portal there was nothing vegan available from the kitchen. A couple items would have been vegan but were fried in the same oil as meat, so if that doesn't bother you, you may be able to get something there.
      -vegematic

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "T" <tvanr13@...> wrote:

      > I recently started doing a vegan diet and I'm going to try to stick to it on the trail. It looks like Outdoor Herbivore has some good stuff, and a hemp sack you carry on the outside of your pack so you can grow sprouts as you hike! So any vegans out there with ideas for me? thanks, Tim

    • Tim Goodrich
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2012

        Not vegan, but vegetarian.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2012
          On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM, vege_matic <eatonn@...> wrote:

          ... I purchased a few things from Outdoor Herbivore a couple months in advance to try. I thought they were okay but discovered that their nutritional information included a packet of olive oil in each meal that didn't always work for me taste-wise. Overall, I much preferred the flavor of MJF, although OH without the oil wasn't bad. ...

          You might think of bringing a Nalgene of lemon-infused olive oil.  It tastes pretty good and I'd suspect even people who don't love olive oil might tolerate it as a food additive.  Coconut oil is also, I assume, vegan.  Either gives a big calorie boost and I suspect maintaining a vegan diet creates at least some caloric need issues.

          There are also garlic-infused olive oils that can be pretty good.

          I get mine in bulk from Rainbow Co-op Grocery in SF, but I think they may also be in the oils sections of big grocery stores including most Whole Foods (not my favorite store, however) and maybe at Trader Joe's (runner-up behind Rainbow, for me).

        • Andy Dischekenyan
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2012
            Hey Tim,

            There are quite a choices out there. Here are a few of my favorites.

            Breakfast - Muesli on steroids (add almond/peanut/cashew butter (artisana brand), honey & nut mix)
            Natures Path cereal with the fixins from above.

            Snacks/Lunch

            ProBar
            Larabar
            Raw Revolution Bar
            Amazing Grass Bar (tastes WAY better than the name suggests - especially the chocolate bar)
            Go Raw Bar
            Pure Organics Bar
            Organic Food Bar
            Keen-Wah Decadence Bars
            Rise Bar (haven't tried yet).

            Other options include rice tortillas, nut butters, jelly or honey

            Dinners - a few more options for dinner would include Annie Chun's Asian meal starters. My favorite is the noodles with the peanut sesame sauce and the rice noodles to which you can add many things to - like dehydrated veggies and tempeh.

            What's working out best for me so far is dehydrating my own meals! More flavorful meals that cost less than anything packaged. It's great. If you have a dehydrator, give it a shot. And while you're at it, you can make your own bars too ;)

            I've posted a few of my culinary experiments on my jmt journal which you can find at http://yogihiker.blogspot.com/2012/04/john-muir-trail-food-part-deux.html
            More to come soon

            Happy Trails,
            Andy

          • Karpani
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2012
              Hi, Tim!
              I, too, am vegan and have tried a variety of options for the trail.
              – I've made my own chocolate bars with coconut, peanut butter, macadamias and chipoltle powder, all of which boost the calories.

              – Macro Life Naturals–1 scoop each of Miracle Reds–(Raw, Organic, Vegan Anti-oxidant Fruit Blend+) and Macro Greens–("complete phytonutrient herbal formula"), which works well as a morning drink

              – I've made Kitcheri and lentil chili dehydrated for the trail (YUM!)

              – various snacks such as Oskri coconut bars and sesame bars, macadamia nuts, Primal Strips, nori (plain, not processed in oil–messy and goes rancid fast), dried Turkish apricots, Yummy Earth hard candies, dehydrated bananas, raisins, etc.

              – Successfully made sprouts on one trip (Aug. 2009) made in 16oz. tinted Nalgene with screen mesh rubber-banded on bottle mouth. The second trip was too cold for sprouting success (Sept. 2010) :-(

              – A favorite commercial food was Backpackers Pantry Pad Thai (2 svgs– too much for me for one meal)

              – Natural High makes good freeze-dried fruits (vegs?), but if you repackage, they quickly take on moisture. Good to mix with your oatmeal if you take it.

              – Check your local health food store; mine had dehydrated or freeze-dried pea soup, corn chowder, hummus, black beans, pinto beans, tvp, etc., in bulk section. All worked really well. Just remember to write down the directions for rehydrating each before leaving the store.

              – Also tried Bloks and Vitalyte (both at Amazon) for electrolyte replacement. I liked both, but will probably try something else this year. Bloks are HEAVY.

              – Mary Jane's products were just"OK" for me, and expensive.

              Hope this is helpful for you; I can offer more, if you want it. :-)

              Have fun!
              Karpani

              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                Karpani's post reminds me that I've liked the Taste Adventure dried soup mixes a lot. My favorites are the Curry Lentil and the Corn Chowder

                Ingredients look to be vegan.

                Luckily, I can get it the Curry Lentil in bulk from Rainbow Co-op in SF, but if I want to get the corn chowder, I have to order it online and have it shipped.

                I add the Trader Joe's harvest grain mix (mostly large-grain couscous) to the soup to make it a more substantial meal.  I tend to use (by weight) lots of the Harvest Grains and just enough of the soup mix to give enough flavor.  By volume, that's probably 1/4 to 1/3 cup per meal of the grains and 1/2 to 2/3 cup of the soup mix with as much water to give the consistency desired - more water and it is like soup. Less water and it's like stew.

                The TJ mix looks like the picture below (when cooked) and is my favorite carbohydrate source in just about any cooked dinner.  Packs more tightly than instant rice. More flavor than couscous.  You could eat it by itself, with a little olive oil and (for non-vegans) grated hard cheese, but I prefer it with more more added flavoring like some sort of soup mix.

                Inline image 1

                Link to picture if you can't see it

                Non-vegans can add meat or fat. Anyone can add olive oil for calories.  Diced sun-dried tomatoes are a nice addition, as is freeze-dried corn.

                Unfortunately, any quick-cook dried soup is pretty high-volume per unit calories so if I'm really trying to pack a bearcan tightly, I bring less than I would on a shorter segment of a trip.

              • basecampbound
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                  Vegan here!

                  I agree that the Taste Adventure soups and beans are very good. Vegan and organic.

                  Regarding typical packaged vegan backpacking meals - personally, I've never had any that were good at all.

                  Do you have a dehydrator? You can pick one up for less than $40, and it's surprisingly easy to dehydrate your own food. Tofu dehydrates well, as does any pasta, rice, beans, veggies and even quinoa. I even dehydrate berries for my oatmeal in the morning.

                  If you are not adverse to making your own backpacking food, I would be happy to pass along some recipes. Typically, I take things like TexMex beans and rice, angel hair pasta with marinara, quinoa with veggies and peppers, bean chili, etc. I have even made trail sloppy joes with veggie crumbles. Just let me know if you would like some recipes. All recipes contain protein.

                  Kathy

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                    Will post some recipes in the morning, and then more in a couple of days, (have to find them all!)

                    Kathy
                  • vegasjmtdave
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                      I'm a Vegan. A Las Vegan. Sorry, tried, but I couldn't resist. :-)
                    • adzo617
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 3, 2012
                        Kathy,

                        Please do share your recipes. I'm currently experimenting with foods for the trail with my dehydrator.

                        Would love to try some new dishes.

                        Thanks,
                        Andy
                        yogihiker.blogspot.com
                      • basecampbound
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 3, 2012
                          Vegan Recipes -

                          I normally eat bars, nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter/crackers, etc. for lunch, so these recipes include 2 breakfast recipes (and a breakfast suggestion) and 7 dinner recipes.

                          All are vegan, and there are links included for some of the ingredients that may not be available at big chain grocery stores, (not everyone has a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near them).

                          I will try to dig up some more in a couple of days, if there is interest in me doing that.

                          Here is the link to download a zipped pdf:

                          Kathy

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 3, 2012
                            Will try a few of the recipes next week, Kathy.

                            Thanks for posting.

                            Andy
                          • basecampbound
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 4, 2012
                              My pleasure. Let me know if you have any questions or peoblems.