stream crossing/camp shoes

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 11, 2012

      OK, I had to do it!  But has anyone tried Sockwa’s?  I am trying their Amphibians.  Size 9 (which covers women size 8.5-9.5) weighs 6.6ozs for both. They fold up nicely for small storage, unlike my Nike Mayflies (which weigh 7.6ozs for both with the removable insole removed). Feel good but haven’t tried out grippiness in the wet yet.

      http://barefootrunningshoes.org/sockwa/sockwa-amphibian/olive-amphibian/

      Barbara

    • Peter Hirst
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 31, 2014
        I started August 5 last year, and I do not remember encountering a single mosquito.

        On Jul 31, 2014, at 10:33 AM, robert shattuck bobolonius@... [johnmuirtrail] wrote:

        Mid- August is my usual JMT time and the bugs are minimal to the point that I never bother with applying the bug juice. There are very few spots that are mosquito havens, but as is my experience with bears in Vidette meadow, you'll find the greatest concentration of Mosquitos down in Tully Hole. I wouldn't plan on camping there.

        Bob Shattuck

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 31, 2014, at 10:29 AM, "longritchie" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        "I am leaving on August 14th, do I need to be concerned about the mozzies"

        I suspect they will be minimal but not entirely absent. So it will depend on where you are and the time of day and how sensitive you are to them.

        I've been carrying DEET around the last couple of weeks and not using it, just amazed at the relative lack of mosquitoes compared to what I see in a normal year. I walked through Long Meadow next to Sunrise HS Camp in Yosemite in mid-July 2011 (big snow year) and the mosquitoes all buzzing in unison produced a roar that I at first mistook for chainsaws in the distance. I walked through there again this year at about the same time in July and the number of mosquitoes I observed was: zero.

        That said, I ran into someone last weekend with about 30 really itchy looking mosquito bites on her shoulder. I don't know where she had been exactly but it couldn't have been too far from the JMT.