Lost PCT hiker found

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2012
      Good illustration of the advantages of checkpoints. Experienced hiker got lost on a 2-month hike along (or near) the PCT, A search, started when he filed to make an expected check-in with his wife, found him. I assume he wasn't carrying a Spot tracker, since it took so long to find him.  He had a cell phone, but the battery went dead and he probably wasn't in cell range, anyway.

      PS: It's a lot harder to get lost on the JMT than on the area where this guy went astray.  I don't mean to whip up unnecessary concerns.  Just mean to suggest that even experienced hikers get lost, check-ins are a good idea when possible, and this would have been a smaller problem if he had a Spot Tracker or similar device and probably would have reduced the rescue costs.