Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: TM to HI in one day

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2012
      Robert, for those who don't know the whole story (I forget parts of it), didn't you ship or leave much of  your gear at TM, so that you could hike very light up to TM from YV?  What was your full pack weight starting out that morning (with pack, stuff inside pack, and food)?

      Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
      _

    • snkworth
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2012
        For the last three years, and as many JMT hikes, we have started in YV and hiked to Tuolomne as a day hike on day 1. We hike with only a day pack, having our gear stashed at Tuolomne (post office or bear locker). It makes for a very scenic and nice outing and we enjoy it as a great start to the trip. We feast at Tuol and head out at 5 PM or so to hike the very easy 4-5 miles up Lyle Fork.

        My only suggestion would be to make sure your feet and legs are ready for it. Put in a lot of miles and you will be well prepared. I would opt for a long uphill over a long downhill any day!

        Nancy from Mt. Shasta
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2012
          Roleigh, We had daypacks for that leg. We had friends and family that did Half-Dome that day starting the same time as us and we met up at TM later that afternoon. One of my hiking partners, ( Brian, 'Phreak" , did Happy Isles to Half-Dome, the Clouds Rest detour to Sunrise, then the JMT trail and still made it back that evening to meet up with the rest of us at Tuolumne meadows. He did some trail running though.

          I did TM to HI with a full pack a few years back, with an approximate weight of 18-20 lbs or so by the end of our trip.