RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Advise on two part TH of JMT

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 2:06 PM
      "I merely said that you can, not that you should"

      Got ya. my apologies, but my point/concern is with the hikers that might actually think they can do it . . . sure you can do it in a day, but that day is no doubt going to be one of those days that starts at midnight . . . kinda like doing whitney in a day, and some know how long that takes.

      I would just discourage the pretty picture of waking to my usual Sierra morning and hitting the trail by 7 a.m. thinking I'll be prancing into the valley in eight hours.

      And as a further note, someone else mentioned that You've already hiked the majority of the JMT, so why jeopardize it all by trying to cram a two day hike into a one-day?

      As a last silly observation/point . . . having done the trail a "few times" as a few other challenging little excursions, I can tell you that when I hit the portal and the pack comes
      off, the pack ain't goin' back on.

      The body and mind check in and say, Okay, we're good. We got you here. Enjoy the moment.

      Me, personally, once I've checked into the Dow, dipped my toe in the pool and had that first beer, I'm not getting back on the trail. I'm not thinking (nor do I ever hear while soaking in the hot tub) oh, I'm gonna go up tomorrow and cram two days into one as a day hike.

      . . . and now that I think of it, last year, I did go from LYV to TM in a long day of fourteen hours to make up for having been in the valley so long. It was not fun. Add four more had I been coming up from the valley. Or turn it all around. No thanks.

      BOB