TM to HI in one day

  • K Sorbello
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 1:15 PM
      My ophtalmologist and his wife thru'd the JMT a few months before Hubby and I did, and we got to learn from their stories... They day-hiked HI to TM ("uphill") and had their kids meet them in TM for dinner, swapping out their day packs for their JMT packs. No bear canister needed, no permit, no problems. They were in their late 50s.

      Last summer I drove from the Valley floor to Mt. Rose, did a 23-mile day hike in residual snow along the Eastern side of the Tahoe Rim Trail, a week after having bronchitis, and I was 59. So yes, TM to HI in a day is definitely possible.  Is it fun? That's a different question.  Just sayin'  :)

      6a.

      Re: Advise on two part TH of JMT

      Posted by: "robert shattuck" bobolonius@...   carvermarks

      Mon Apr 2, 2012 12:15 am (PDT)

      "You can hike TM to HI as a day trip ... downhill from TM."

      Who's out there doing TM to HI in a day, I'd like to know . . . oh wait, I sort of do, and usually they're some bunch of marathon running enthusiasts, who get out there and RUN the entire whatever it is, 24 plus miles . . . but they do it in what I imagine to be a good long day.
      "no race for this middle aged body"
      Are you young or marathon fit? Even if you just finished the JMT and bussed back up to knock out this section, I'd still give it at least two days to be safe.
      And there's actually a good amount of uphill. You'd be pretty pissed off, if you maybe parked your car there on the shoulder of 12o and then thought you were going to have a nice long downhill, all the way to the valley floor. For a lot of day hikers it's enough just to get UP to Cathedral lakes and turn around. Once you've hit Cathedral it's another climb to get up to Sunrise and then . . . we aren't talking high altitude lung busters, but we are talking, again, twenty-four plus miles.
      And just how easy is all that downhill really going to be once you get up and over the last hump out of Sunrise.

      BOB
      http://www.summitpo st.org/plans/ view_activity. php?post_ id=6480

      To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com
      From: wcgornto@yahoo. com
      Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 23:04:53 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Advise on two part TH of JMT

      You can hike TM to HI as a day trip ... downhill from TM. No permit needed as long as you swap out gear and hike with a day pack. If you have any overnight gear, you will need a permit.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "wa61105" <wa61105@... > wrote:

      > I was lucky to get a permit for JMT starting at Tuolumne ending at Whitney Portal. This will be my first time on the JMT and any multiple-day hike since I was a teenager. I really wanted to do the whole trail but was not sure I could finish in time for my return flight home out of Mammoth Lakes.

      > I might have a couple days at the end if I make decent time (no race for this middle aged body). Assuming that happens, I would like to attempt to hike the part I missed between Yosemite Valley and TM. Again, assuming I didn't finish the hike at Whitney Portal all physically and mentally broken. :-(. I plan atleast one night in a nice soft bed either in Lone Pines or back in Mammoth Lakes. What I am not sure about are the logistics to make that happen... Would I still need a permit to do that section as a day hike? Recommendations on either TM->YV or YV->TM? I saw where the YARTS shuttle doesn't arrive at YM until early afternoon so I assume I would need to secure a camp permit in order to get an early enough start?.. And if I do camp the night before, will I get the treatment from the rangers day hiking with a pack holding a tent, sleeping bag,etc..? I would like to catch the shuttle bus at the end of the day back to ML..

      > Thanks for any advise anyone can offer. I hope to finish at WP around Aug 3rd. Greatly looking forward to this trip!

      Please strip out "replied-to" text if not necessary to your reply.  Failure to strip makes it hard for our Daily Digest members to find the new postings among the repeats. For the crib sheet to take on JMT: http://tinyurl.com/6j6axeq - Prints on 1 sheet all the essential phone numbers/addresses you'll want for all services needed on or off the trail.
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 3:10 PM
        I did Yosemite to Tuolumne Meadows last year in one day and it wasn't all that hard AND I'm not even a marathon runner. You do need to be in good shape and pack light, but we were munching on cheeseburgers by 3:30 PM at Tuolumne Meadows Grill after a 6:15 AM start in the valley. Make sure to train for it, but going from TM to HI should be a very do-able hike, IMO.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 3:29 PM
          Robert, for those who don't know the whole story (I forget parts of it), didn't you ship or leave much of  your gear at TM, so that you could hike very light up to TM from YV?  What was your full pack weight starting out that morning (with pack, stuff inside pack, and food)?

          Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
          _

        • snkworth
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2 7:32 PM
            For the last three years, and as many JMT hikes, we have started in YV and hiked to Tuolomne as a day hike on day 1. We hike with only a day pack, having our gear stashed at Tuolomne (post office or bear locker). It makes for a very scenic and nice outing and we enjoy it as a great start to the trip. We feast at Tuol and head out at 5 PM or so to hike the very easy 4-5 miles up Lyle Fork.

            My only suggestion would be to make sure your feet and legs are ready for it. Put in a lot of miles and you will be well prepared. I would opt for a long uphill over a long downhill any day!

            Nancy from Mt. Shasta
          • Robert
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2 7:54 PM
              Roleigh, We had daypacks for that leg. We had friends and family that did Half-Dome that day starting the same time as us and we met up at TM later that afternoon. One of my hiking partners, ( Brian, 'Phreak" , did Happy Isles to Half-Dome, the Clouds Rest detour to Sunrise, then the JMT trail and still made it back that evening to meet up with the rest of us at Tuolumne meadows. He did some trail running though.

              I did TM to HI with a full pack a few years back, with an approximate weight of 18-20 lbs or so by the end of our trip.