[John Muir Trail] Re: Advise on two part TH of JMT

  • wcgornto
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 1:08 PM
      I merely said that you can, not that you should.

      This site has a number of examples of people who claim to have done this, particularly people who were unable to obtain a HI permit.

      > "You can hike TM to HI as a day trip ... downhill from TM."
      >
      > Who's out there doing TM to HI in a day, I'd like to know . . . oh wait, I sort of do, and usually they're some bunch of marathon running enthusiasts, who get out there and RUN the entire whatever it is, 24 plus miles . . . but they do it in what I imagine to be a good long day.
      > "no race for this middle aged body"
      > Are you young or marathon fit? Even if you just finished the JMT and bussed back up to knock out this section, I'd still give it at least two days to be safe.
      > And there's actually a good amount of uphill. You'd be pretty pissed off, if you maybe parked your car there on the shoulder of 12o and then thought you were going to have a nice long downhill, all the way to the valley floor. For a lot of day hikers it's enough just to get UP to Cathedral lakes and turn around. Once you've hit Cathedral it's another climb to get up to Sunrise and then . . . we aren't talking high altitude lung busters, but we are talking, again, twenty-four plus miles.
      > And just how easy is all that downhill really going to be once you get up and over the last hump out of Sunrise.
      >
      > BOB
      >

      > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      > From: wcgornto@...
      > Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 23:04:53 +0000
      > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Advise on two part TH of JMT

      > You can hike TM to HI as a day trip ... downhill from TM. No permit needed as long as you swap out gear and hike with a day pack. If you have any overnight gear, you will need a permit.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "wa61105" <wa61105@> wrote:
      >

      > > I was lucky to get a permit for JMT starting at Tuolumne ending at Whitney Portal. This will be my first time on the JMT and any multiple-day hike since I was a teenager. I really wanted to do the whole trail but was not sure I could finish in time for my return flight home out of Mammoth Lakes.
      >

      > > I might have a couple days at the end if I make decent time (no race for this middle aged body). Assuming that happens, I would like to attempt to hike the part I missed between Yosemite Valley and TM. Again, assuming I didn't finish the hike at Whitney Portal all physically and mentally broken. :-(. I plan atleast one night in a nice soft bed either in Lone Pines or back in Mammoth Lakes. What I am not sure about are the logistics to make that happen... Would I still need a permit to do that section as a day hike? Recommendations on either TM->YV or YV->TM? I saw where the YARTS shuttle doesn't arrive at YM until early afternoon so I assume I would need to secure a camp permit in order to get an early enough start?.. And if I do camp the night before, will I get the treatment from the rangers day hiking with a pack holding a tent, sleeping bag,etc..? I would like to catch the shuttle bus at the end of the day back to ML..

> [...]
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 2:06 PM
        "I merely said that you can, not that you should"

        Got ya. my apologies, but my point/concern is with the hikers that might actually think they can do it . . . sure you can do it in a day, but that day is no doubt going to be one of those days that starts at midnight . . . kinda like doing whitney in a day, and some know how long that takes.

        I would just discourage the pretty picture of waking to my usual Sierra morning and hitting the trail by 7 a.m. thinking I'll be prancing into the valley in eight hours.

        And as a further note, someone else mentioned that You've already hiked the majority of the JMT, so why jeopardize it all by trying to cram a two day hike into a one-day?

        As a last silly observation/point . . . having done the trail a "few times" as a few other challenging little excursions, I can tell you that when I hit the portal and the pack comes
        off, the pack ain't goin' back on.

        The body and mind check in and say, Okay, we're good. We got you here. Enjoy the moment.

        Me, personally, once I've checked into the Dow, dipped my toe in the pool and had that first beer, I'm not getting back on the trail. I'm not thinking (nor do I ever hear while soaking in the hot tub) oh, I'm gonna go up tomorrow and cram two days into one as a day hike.

        . . . and now that I think of it, last year, I did go from LYV to TM in a long day of fourteen hours to make up for having been in the valley so long. It was not fun. Add four more had I been coming up from the valley. Or turn it all around. No thanks.

        BOB