Re: [John Muir Trail] hiking into yosemite from the north to join JMT

  • marre_e
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
      Oops--typing too fast. I am looking for a hike where I could come into Yosemite Valley (YV) from the north. We start at Happy Isles in August and I thought I might try a short hike before the togetherness begins.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
        Take a look at the TH Permit Options in the group's file library, maps of trails around the valley are there.  You might want to mess around on the Mirror Lake trail.

        On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM, marre_e <marre_e@...> wrote:

        Oops--typing too fast. I am looking for a hike where I could come into Yosemite Valley (YV) from the north. We start at Happy Isles in August and I thought I might try a short hike before the togetherness begins.

        > Did you mean TM not YM? What does YM stand for?

        > Visit Roleigh's Google
        > Profile<https://profiles.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
        > _
        >

        > On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM, marre_e <marre_e@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **

        > > me again..sorry for the multiple Qs..
        > >
        > > I am contemplating getting a little solo time in before my hike starts
        > > with my group. I've been looking at maps but thought someone here might
        > > have an idea. Where would be a good place (ease of access and permit
        > > considerations) to start hiking on the PCT about 3 days (35 miles or so)
        > > prior to YM? Thanks for any advice.

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
          You can start at the Virginia Lakes Trailhead out of Bridgeport and hike into TM. The mileage from there is almost identical to the mileage from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows with less elevation gain and a lot less crowds! It is a very nice hike and permits are easy to get from Humbolt/Toyiabe National Forest. You can get a permit that covers your whole trip and not have to 'jump through the hoops' of the Yosemite permitting process.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
            Hiking south toward Yosemite Valley often involves asking the bus driver on the Valley-to-Tuloumne Meadows to let you off at a trailhead along CA 120.  There are a number of THs that will show up on any map and all of them are nice.  Just chose the distance you want and that will tell you which TH to use.

            Or  you could come from the South and hike north to the Valley, using the Valley-to-Glacier Point bus to get to a TH off Glacier Pt Road.  Routes that include Illouette Creek can be pretty.

            On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM, marre_e <marre_e@...> wrote:

            Oops--typing too fast. I am looking for a hike where I could come into Yosemite Valley (YV) from the north. We start at Happy Isles in August and I thought I might try a short hike before the togetherness begins.

            > Did you mean TM not YM? What does YM stand for?

            > Visit Roleigh's Google
            > Profile<https://profiles.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
            > _
            >

            > On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM, marre_e <marre_e@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **

            > > me again..sorry for the multiple Qs..
            > >
            > > I am contemplating getting a little solo time in before my hike starts
            > > with my group. I've been looking at maps but thought someone here might
            > > have an idea. Where would be a good place (ease of access and permit
            > > considerations) to start hiking on the PCT about 3 days (35 miles or so)
            > > prior to YM? Thanks for any advice.

          • Pete
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
              Ditto on this recommendation. A very different side of Yosemite up
              there. Beautiful. Virginia Cyn, McCabe Lks. And many fewer people.

              And there's the easy permit aspect.

              Don't know about the mileage (or your daily mileage).

              Pete

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
                It is 21.9 miles from Virginia Lakes TH to Tuolumne Meadows with a lot less elevation gain than coming from the Valley. I keep this route in mind as an alternative start to the JMT because the permits are so much easier to get and the mileage is about the same. There is a spot on Return creek that has a fantastic, deep swimming hole if the conditions are right.