JMT to be renamed "EMT" in honor of Exxon-Mobil's pledge of $4.1 Million to NPS

  • Allen C
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2012
      Just read this online today...

      AP: In honor of Exxon-Mobile's generous grant to the National Park Service, the John Muir Trail will be officially known as the Exxon-Mobil Trail, effective June 1, 2012, according to Park Service officials. The funds will be used for trail work, clearing downed trees, grading, paving, and straightening on the EMT and to pay for a fleet of 12 Segway scooters for Park Service Rangers. The new Segways will be outfitted with solar panels, as well as the ability to run on alcohol and partially-used Isobutane canisters.

      A senior NPS official expressed delight with the new partnership, saying, "The new Segues will make the job of a park ranger much easier, and will allow us to reduce the number of rangers patrolling the trail from 24 to 12, while handing out more revenue-generating citations and putting all those discarded fuel canisters to good use!" The official noted that the trail would be widened, graded and paved to accomodate the Segways, which would also bring it into compliance with ADA regulations and make it completely wheelchair accessible. Cyclists will still be prohibited from using the trail due to safety concerns, but snowmobiles will be allowed in winter, allowing the NPS to continue bringing in permit revenue in the off-season.
    • Ewa Bialkowski
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2012
        Not fooling me :)

        On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Allen C <acurrano@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Karpani
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2012
          Ha!  Got me just for a nanosecond, until I realized  today's date! :-D

[...]

        • Ray Rippel
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2012
            Nicely done...

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2012
              Is Exxon-Mobile the only company that cares about the handicapped not being able to do the JMT?  Of course, will there ever be any complete JMT hikers in a wheel chair?  I bet we'll see one a year at least.

              Hey, what's this about the date having anything to do about the announcement?
              Visit Roleigh's Google Profile
              _

            • vegasjmtdave
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2012
                You got me good on this one. I was kind-of thinking (and hoping) this was something that came from the Onion, but at the same time it did sound like something our lame-brain government would do so I was getting pretty mad. Good job, nasty unprintable name here :-)
              • Allen C
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2012
                  Happy April 1 everybody! Glad to hear some of you enjoyed it, and/or were pissed off at the thought! John Muir would have been thoreauly outraged!

                  have fun out there!

                  Allen