External Battery Pack

  • bodnar1234
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2012
      I just finished testing the NewTrent 5000mAh External Battery Pack. The battery comes with an LED gauge showing the amount of power remaining, which makes power management easy and it weighs about 6 ounces on my kitchen scale. The battery charged my iPhone in about two hours from 20% to 100%. I was able to recharge the iPhone four times (20% to 100%) plus an additional partial charge. This is consistent with the advertised 3 charge cycles for the iPhone 4. Overall I was happy with the external battery pack which retails now for under $40.

      Paul

      HikeThru.com
      Guthooksguides.com
    • larry mann

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2012
          It isn't a solar charger. I'm going with an external battery pack because solar chargers typically weigh more, some 16 ounces. Having three recharge cycles is enough to easily get me to the next outlet.

          You could carry two of these and still be carrying less weight than a typical solar charger.

          I hope this helped.

          Paul

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, larry mann <lm6365@...> wrote:

          > A dumb question.... Is it a solar charger??
          >
          > On Mar 30, 2012, at 5:19 PM, "bodnar1234" <paulbodnar@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I just finished testing the NewTrent 5000mAh External Battery Pack. The battery comes with an LED gauge showing the amount of power remaining, which makes power management easy and it weighs about 6 ounces on my kitchen scale. The battery charged my iPhone in about two hours from 20% to 100%. I was able to recharge the iPhone four times (20% to 100%) plus an additional partial charge. This is consistent with the advertised 3 charge cycles for the iPhone 4. Overall I was happy with the external battery pack which retails now for under $40.
          > >
          > > Paul
          > >
          > > HikeThru.com
          > > Guthooksguides.com

        • larry mann
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2012
            Thanks Paul!

            On Mar 30, 2012, at 5:54 PM, "bodnar1234" <paulbodnar@...> wrote:

            It isn't a solar charger. I'm going with an external battery pack because solar chargers typically weigh more, some 16 ounces. Having three recharge cycles is enough to easily get me to the next outlet.

            You could carry two of these and still be carrying less weight than a typical solar charger.

            I hope this helped.

            Paul

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, larry mann <lm6365@...> wrote:

            > A dumb question.... Is it a solar charger??
            >
            > On Mar 30, 2012, at 5:19 PM, "bodnar1234" <paulbodnar@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I just finished testing the NewTrent 5000mAh External Battery Pack. The battery comes with an LED gauge showing the amount of power remaining, which makes power management easy and it weighs about 6 ounces on my kitchen scale. The battery charged my iPhone in about two hours from 20% to 100%. I was able to recharge the iPhone four times (20% to 100%) plus an additional partial charge. This is consistent with the advertised 3 charge cycles for the iPhone 4. Overall I was happy with the external battery pack which retails now for under $40.
            > >
            > > Paul
            > >
            > > HikeThru.com
            > > Guthooksguides.com

          • LEBRUN
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30, 2012
              I have 1100mAh unit.  Its weight is 8oz and will run my IPOD touch for about 50 hours.

              Good luck.

              Bruce

              On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM, bodnar1234 <paulbodnar@...> wrote:

              I just finished testing the NewTrent 5000mAh External Battery Pack. The battery comes with an LED gauge showing the amount of power remaining, which makes power management easy and it weighs about 6 ounces on my kitchen scale. The battery charged my iPhone in about two hours from 20% to 100%. I was able to recharge the iPhone four times (20% to 100%) plus an additional partial charge. This is consistent with the advertised 3 charge cycles for the iPhone 4. Overall I was happy with the external battery pack which retails now for under $40.

              Paul

              HikeThru.com
              Guthooksguides.com

            • sanfran_rwood
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, LEBRUN <bnslebrun@...> wrote:

                > I have 1100mAh unit. Its weight is 8oz and will run my IPOD touch for
                > about 50 hours.

                Hmm, are you *sure* it's only 1100mAh? That's a pretty measly amount — the LiIon battery for my five-year-old point-and-shoot is 1400mAh, and probably weighs less than an ounce.

                Another more current example — the Adafruit 6600mAh battery pack is only 5oz. See http://www.adafruit.com/products/353 ($39.50, but the proper connector would still have to be added).
                --
                Richard
              • LEBRUN
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
                  sorry,  Its 11000mAh -- I'll be using it this year on my Tahoe to Whitney hike.

                  Hope to see you along the trail.

                  Bruce

                  On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 5:54 AM, sanfran_rwood <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, LEBRUN <bnslebrun@...> wrote:

                  > I have 1100mAh unit. Its weight is 8oz and will run my IPOD touch for
                  > about 50 hours.

                  Hmm, are you *sure* it's only 1100mAh? That's a pretty measly amount — the LiIon battery for my five-year-old point-and-shoot is 1400mAh, and probably weighs less than an ounce.

                  Another more current example — the Adafruit 6600mAh battery pack is only 5oz. See http://www.adafruit.com/products/353 ($39.50, but the proper connector would still have to be added).
                  --
                  Richard

                • T
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
                    Hey thanks for the gear testing, very useful. I was leaning toward getting the 11000mah but if I can get 4 charges out of the 5000, the 11k sounds like overkill. Did you factor in the weight of the plug and USB cables you need? How heavy is the plug for the charger? thanks, Tim

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bodnar1234" <paulbodnar@...> wrote:

                    > I just finished testing the NewTrent 5000mAh External Battery Pack. The battery comes with an LED gauge showing the amount of power remaining, which makes power management easy and it weighs about 6 ounces on my kitchen scale. The battery charged my iPhone in about two hours from 20% to 100%. I was able to recharge the iPhone four times (20% to 100%) plus an additional partial charge. This is consistent with the advertised 3 charge cycles for the iPhone 4. Overall I was happy with the external battery pack which retails now for under $40.
                    >
                    > Paul
                    >
                    > HikeThru.com
                    > Guthooksguides.com

                  • Stephen Kundell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
                      I have a droid (galaxy nexus). I can put it in airplane mode with
                      everything off except the GPS, which really helps conserve battery life.
                      This may be an advantage to this platform, or can you turn off all that
                      stuff in on an iphone, and still use the GPS? I have not tried this on
                      my wife's 4s, but I do know that Siri doesnt hike the JMT (thank goodness)!
                      Stephen
                    • bodnar1234
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
                        The total weight of 6 ounces on the kitchen scale was the battery and cord required to charge it. The plug is really light, an ounce or less. A picture is in the Misc. Photo section labeled New Trent. This battery has a 5V 1000mA input and a separate 5V 600 mA USB output.

                        Battery technology is increasing at a very fast rate now. There will be smaller and lighter batteries available in the future.

                        Paul

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "T" <tvanr13@...> wrote:

                        > Hey thanks for the gear testing, very useful. I was leaning toward getting the 11000mah but if I can get 4 charges out of the 5000, the 11k sounds like overkill. Did you factor in the weight of the plug and USB cables you need? How heavy is the plug for the charger? thanks, Tim
                        >
                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bodnar1234" <paulbodnar@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I just finished testing the NewTrent 5000mAh External Battery Pack. The battery comes with an LED gauge showing the amount of power remaining, which makes power management easy and it weighs about 6 ounces on my kitchen scale. The battery charged my iPhone in about two hours from 20% to 100%. I was able to recharge the iPhone four times (20% to 100%) plus an additional partial charge. This is consistent with the advertised 3 charge cycles for the iPhone 4. Overall I was happy with the external battery pack which retails now for under $40.
                        > >
                        > > Paul
                        > >
                        > > HikeThru.com
                        > > Guthooksguides.com

                      • LEBRUN
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 31, 2012
                          Tim,
                          No, weight of 11000 unit only.

                          Wall charger weight = 3.1 oz.  USB cable weight = .8 oz.

                          With chargers on the trail, I always go for overkill.  The last three years I have used a Brunton 12watt solar  charger with good result.

                          The 11000mah may allow me to make my entire trip on one charge. However, I will be able to recharge at Kennedy Meadows and VVR.

                          I will use this unit to recharge the following:
                          1. IPOD Touch
                          2. AAA & AA batteries.
                          3. C - Phone.

                          I am thinking of taking a Kindle.