RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: SNOW

  • Joe MacLeish
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 27, 2012

      Vegematic:

      I strongly recommend against taking your snow shoes for a July 19 start.  I went last year (very heavy snow year – duh) and left on July 10 SOBO.  I would not have used snow shoes once.  As it was I used my Kahtoola crampons for 4 hours one day on the whole trip.  This year there will little if any snow needing assists in late July.  Snow shoes are for light fluffy compressible snow not for the stuff we see in July.   I took snow shoes once many years ago and left them at MTR to be shipped home.  Don’t carry the extra weight; you won’t use snow shoes in late July.

      Joe