Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Pot or Skillet?

  • John M.
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 23, 2012
      While I have been known to carry my 8" teflon coated skillet from Target ($5.99 and 7 ounces with the handle removed) when trekking to bountiful Sierra waters, I now favor packing a few square sheets of aluminum foil ( at a fraction of an ounce) to prepare my fresh trout that supplements my usual trail menu on trips where base weight matters.  It's pretty tough to re-use a sheet of foil, but simply add a few new sheets to your resupply shipment and your set.

      My workhorse cook piece remains my Snow Peak 1400 (mL) Titanium Pot with skillet/lid (7.4 ounces - see image below).  It offers the best of both -  a pot plus a small, but functional, skillet that doubles as a lid.  It also comes in a 900mL version.  While warming tortillas in the skillet/lid requires some creativity, it's very suitable for making small pancakes, browning meat, etc.  Of course, the pot is perfect for heating water for the usual pouch meal, warm beverage, etc.  My Pocket Rocket stove, 220g fuel canister, sponge, bio soap, lighter, windscreen, spork, and a few condiments all fit inside.

      John

      On Mar 23, 2012, at 12:50 AM, Michael wrote:

      Maybe just change up your cooking options once in a while and see where your preferences end up.
      I've been contemplating the very same thing. I have been a single pot cooker for years, preferring to primarily do the cook in a bag and just heat up water. I've been thinking how it would be nice to maybe fry up some pancakes or fish or something. So for me, I plan to cook in a bag in a pot for most trips, but on some shorter ones, I am considering a skillet for heavier things such as meat or fish, syrup for pancakes, and such. At least that's where I am leaning lately.
      Mike