Re: [John Muir Trail] Exciting Through Hiking Audiobook released today -- first related that includes the JMT

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2012
      The Wall Street Journal today did a long review of this book.

      I am listening to it now, and when the book finally has her walking on the PCT, that first part of the hike has you laughing harder than I did anytime with "A Walk in the Woods" by BIll Bryson (still a great thru-hike audiobook to listen to as well).
      Visit Roleigh's Google Profile

      On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
      Oh yes, for those who want a blurb about the book.  (I just finished my last audiobook and will be starting this today!  Really looking forward to it.)

      Publisher's Summary

      Wild is a powerful, blazingly honest memoir: the story of an 1100-mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe - and built her back up again.

      At 22, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother's death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life: to hike the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State - and to do it alone. She had no experience as a long-distance hiker, and the trail was little more than “an idea, vague and outlandish and full of promise.” But it was a promise of piecing back together a life that had come undone.

      Strayed faced down rattlesnakes and black bears, intense heat and record snowfalls, and both the beauty and loneliness of the trail. Told with great suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild vividly captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her.

      ©2012 Cheryl Strayed (P)2012 Random House

      What the Critics Say

      “No one can write like Cheryl Strayed. Wild is one of the most unflinching and emotionally honest books I've read in a long time. It is about forgiveness and grief, bravery and hope. It is unforgettable.” (Ann Hood, author of The Knitting Circle)

      Visit Roleigh's Google Profile

      On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Seth C. Burgess <seth.c.burgess@...> wrote:

      Thanks for sharing Roleigh. I did enjoy A Walk in the Woods and Bill Bryson's trademark humor as he made progress on the AT. I look forward to listening to this PCT audiobook.

      Seth C. Burgess

      On Mar 20, 2012 9:39 PM, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...> wrote:

      This is exciting for me.  I listen to about 3-5 audiobooks a month on my Ipod Nano.  (Not when I do the JMT, it's too intense of a hike to listen, but when doing easy walks or driving.)  This is the first audiobook that includes the JMT.  The other related thru-hiking audiobook is "A Walk in the Woods" but it is about the A.T. not the PCT.

      Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

      • LENGTH
        13 hrs and 6 mins
      Visit Roleigh's Google Profile