Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: sorry if I sound

  • Brenna
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2012
      It may be unconventional and offend any purists on the list, but I was thrilled to have gotten permits out of Devil's Postpile, first for the northbound route into Yosemite Valley, then for the southbound route starting a few days later from Devil's Postpile, exiting Whitney Portal. The way I see it, as a newbie, it will all be beautiful, no matter which way I hike it, or when.

      I had already been rejected once through the Yosemite permit process and, like Talon, ran out of time to get rejected again. It turned out to be just as well - forced me to look at other options.

      Hope it works out for you, Talon!

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2012
        Brilliant!

        On Mar 5, 2012, at 8:35 PM, "Brenna" <stillsmalljourney@...> wrote:

        It may be unconventional and offend any purists on the list, but I was thrilled to have gotten permits out of Devil's Postpile, first for the northbound route into Yosemite Valley, then for the southbound route starting a few days later from Devil's Postpile, exiting Whitney Portal. The way I see it, as a newbie, it will all be beautiful, no matter which way I hike it, or when.

        I had already been rejected once through the Yosemite permit process and, like Talon, ran out of time to get rejected again. It turned out to be just as well - forced me to look at other options.

        Hope it works out for you, Talon!

        Talon, don't give up. The first time I called I got a bubblehead. My friend called a day or two later and we got a permit from HI-illhouette. Another option is to go in from Mammoth. You won't be hiking the *whole* trail but who cares? You get those permits online at recreation.gov, easy peasy. The only thing to watch out for is that whitney exit quota. We were going to do this until we got our HI permit and it sounded really beautiful. You look under inyo nf for the river trail to the PCT I believe.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "h_talon" <h_talon@...> wrote:

        > like a cry baby :-) I'm just a little bummed ..
        >
        > again sorry :-)
        >
        > I hope all who make have a great time, I'll be looking
        > for the trail reports ..
        >
        > Talon

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2012
          The 'split-hike' option is a great one, especially for vehicle logistics. It is easy to park a car at the Main Mammoth Lodge area close to where YARTS stops and the devils Postpile Shuttle runs into the valley. The only downside with this, is the Whitney Trailcrest exit quotas fill up fast for the SOBO section from Reds to Whitney Portal. If you don't have them booked yet, your chances are slim of getting them. You can book your permits for Inyo 6 months in advance from your start date, so the exit quota for most days of July and August are filled or filling up quickly.

          I don't know how many people Talon needs a permit for, or what dates, but it is rare that the Illiouette option fills up for more than a few days of the summer. The full trailhead report shows it full for Aug 1st & 2nd, and a few days in July. I really think it matters who you talk to on the phone, some of those folks don't seem too willing to let you do this LEGAL option, be persistant.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Brenna <stillsmalljourney@...> wrote:

          > It may be unconventional and offend any purists on the list, but I was thrilled to have gotten permits out of Devil's Postpile, first for the northbound route into Yosemite Valley, then for the southbound route starting a few days later from Devil's Postpile, exiting Whitney Portal. The way I see it, as a newbie, it will all be beautiful, no matter which way I hike it, or when.
          >
          > I had already been rejected once through the Yosemite permit process and, like Talon, ran out of time to get rejected again. It turned out to be just as well - forced me to look at other options.
          >
          > Hope it works out for you, Talon!
          >

          > ________________________________

        • h_talon
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6, 2012
            I only need one permit ... but my wife has decided I need
            to go ( I think she wants a vacation from me :-)

            so now she will be contacting the permit office
            ( Oh My ) .. my time line is a locked thing due to work.

            if doesn't work out I'll try the day permit thing well see ..

            thank you for all the suggestions and ideas, helps alot,

            Talon

            > The 'split-hike' option is a great one, especially for vehicle logistics. It is easy to park a car at the Main Mammoth Lodge area close to where YARTS stops and the devils Postpile Shuttle runs into the valley. The only downside with this, is the Whitney Trailcrest exit quotas fill up fast for the SOBO section from Reds to Whitney Portal. If you don't have them booked yet, your chances are slim of getting them. You can book your permits for Inyo 6 months in advance from your start date, so the exit quota for most days of July and August are filled or filling up quickly.
            >
            > I don't know how many people Talon needs a permit for, or what dates, but it is rare that the Illiouette option fills up for more than a few days of the summer. The full trailhead report shows it full for Aug 1st & 2nd, and a few days in July. I really think it matters who you talk to on the phone, some of those folks don't seem too willing to let you do this LEGAL option, be persistant.
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Brenna <stillsmalljourney@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It may be unconventional and offend any purists on the list, but I was thrilled to have gotten permits out of Devil's Postpile, first for the northbound route into Yosemite Valley, then for the southbound route starting a few days later from Devil's Postpile, exiting Whitney Portal. The way I see it, as a newbie, it will all be beautiful, no matter which way I hike it, or when.
            > >
            > > I had already been rejected once through the Yosemite permit process and, like Talon, ran out of time to get rejected again. It turned out to be just as well - forced me to look at other options.
            > >
            > > Hope it works out for you, Talon!
            > >

            > > ________________________________

          • charliepolecat
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 6, 2012
              > I only need one permit ... but my wife has decided I need
              > to go ( I think she wants a vacation from me :-)

              Maybe it was the "Cry baby" thing. ;-)
            • Robert
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 6, 2012
                Too funny! Good luck to you, ( or your wife )!

                If your wife really does do the calling, make sure she knows to specify that you will be back-tracking from Illiouette Area back to the JMT for it's entirety. I think this is what gets people confused at the permit office and the folks trying to get this option. It is a pretty easy hike to Illiouette for your first night, and you will want to get stocked up on water for your camp, but then you are set-up for an early morning start of your JMT journey the following morning.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "charliepolecat" <kennethjessett@...> wrote:

                > > I only need one permit ... but my wife has decided I need
                > > to go ( I think she wants a vacation from me :-)
                >
                > Maybe it was the "Cry baby" thing. ;-)

              • wcgornto
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 6, 2012
                  Go northbound. Start at Horseshoe Meadows. No fax, deny, fax, deny, etc. drama.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "h_talon" <h_talon@...> wrote:

                  > like a cry baby :-) I'm just a little bummed ..
                  >
                  > again sorry :-)
                  >
                  > I hope all who make have a great time, I'll be looking
                  > for the trail reports ..
                  >
                  > Talon

                • LEBRUN
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 6, 2012
                    Right on -- I have done this trip twice.