Re: [John Muir Trail] average temps on JMT in July?

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
      On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM, M L <minafall2004_7@...> wrote:

      I think your direct question has been answered already, re: temps.  But I'd like to comment on your clothing decision.  A good base layer will do more to keep you warm than a heavier jacket.  Perhaps you already have this factored in.  ...

      I'm a big fan of multiple layers also.  I try to bring at least one baselayer top that has thumb holes.  You can stick your thumbs through the holes and then pull on a pair of gloves and deny the mosquitoes a change to bite at your wrists. Esp. if you have treated both the baselayer and the gloves with permetherin.

      (I learned this after an experience one morning near 1000 Island Lakes where I counted 6 mosquitoes simultaneously occupying the 2 inch gap between a shirt and a pair of gloves on one arm.  They find whatever you leave exposed.)

      It's easier on your legs - just tuck the baselayer into your socks.

       Also good in the cold.

      Inline image 1

      Go here if you can't see the picture