Re: Pathetic snowfall predicted in inccoming weather

  • ned@mountaineducation.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2012
      In Tahoe, along the PCT, we received up to 5 feet of fresh, new snow.

      So, the backcountry is now Open! Finally...

      "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
          P: 888-996-8333
          F: 530-541-1456
          C: 530-721-1551
          http://www.mountaineducation.org

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2012
          One easy place to check further south is the automated SNOTEL sensor at Virginia Lakes Ridge, which got less than a foot.  I think the biggest snow dump was north of the JMT,

          This link may be dynamic, so it might not work.

          Virginia Lakes Ridge is the most southerly of the SNOTEL sensors, It's at about 9500 feet a little NW of Lee Vining and Mono Lake, so east of Tuolumne Meadows.  Map of SNOTEL sensors here:

          You can click on any of the dots to see info about a particular sensor.

          On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
          Wow. That's good news. Hope it's similar 200-300 miles further south on the JMT.  Anyone know?

          On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:55 AM, <ned@...> wrote:

          In Tahoe, along the PCT, we received up to 5 feet of fresh, new snow.

          So, the backcountry is now Open! Finally...

          "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

          Ned Tibbits, Director
          Mountain Education
          South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
              P: 888-996-8333
              F: 530-541-1456
              C: 530-721-1551
              http://www.mountaineducation.org

        • John
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2012

            > Wow. That's good news. Hope it's similar 200-300 miles further south on the
            > JMT. Anyone know?

            TM ~15"
            Mammoth Pass ~16"
            Bear Ridge ~7"
            Tyndall Creek ~2"

            JD
            www.johndittli.com
          • shawn peterson
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2012
              China Peak (Huntington Lake) at the foot of Kaiser Pass only received 5-8" this week.  That's a decent mid trail predictor since VVR is right up the road.