Permit granted: Happy Isles -> Illilouette 8/17

  • Adam .
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2012
      Hi all,

      I just got my permit granted for 3 people, leaving Happy Isles to
      Illilouette on 8/17, and then exiting at Whitney Portal on 9/6.
      Hooray! I will hike to VVR with the other 2 people, and then they will
      head out and I will finish up by myself. I'm very excited.

      Based on looking at the maps, it seems that I would climb out of Happy
      Isles and at the junction with the JMT, head west towards Illilouette
      Falls and camp somewhere in the basin. The next morning, we would turn
      back around, join up with the JMT, and head on our way. Is that
      correct? Also, does anyone know exactly where we should be camping the
      first night?

      I know some people said they changed their permit to past Cloud Rests
      junction when they picked up their permit. If we wanted to do this
      (and we certainly would), would I need to do this on 8/16 at 11 am
      with all the other walk ins?

      Thanks,
      Adam
    • John Cusick
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2012
        Adam,

        Glad to hear you got your permit!

        My wife and I used the "Ililouette option" last August, leaving Happy Isles mid-afternoon a day earlier than our permit after finding there was still "space" to do so.  The ranger who issued our permit told us we needed to travel 15 - 20 minutes (a mile and a half or so) off the Panorama trail on the Illilouette trail before camping.  We had our dinner and filled our water bottles above Nevada Falls, then backtracked to the Panorama trail as far as the Illilouette trail junction, where we headed off for 20 minutes or so before setting up our dry camp in the dusk on a ridge with great views of Liberty Cap and Yosemite Falls in the distance.

        It was a beautiful evening and a great start to the trip.

        John Cusick