Re: cell phone text message facilitates SAR

  • Wilderness
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28 9:15 PM
      Excellent information, John.
      I recall in first responder training that you want to be certain to concisely state injuries, number in group and number injured and mobile, your actions and equipment, and what you want or need, as well as your exact location, or best guess.
      This, I imagine, will start another good discussion about the benefits of different locator systems. It seems that there are advancements every year.
      The really fine places to travel do not have cell coverage (and I hope they never do), so I don't bother to take one unless it's required to contact your ride when you reach the trailhead.
      When Kathleen and I volunteered for two months in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness, our FS-issued satellite phone only worked about 70% of the time, and one had to stand on a stump in just the right pose....
      http://wildernessvagabond.com/salmon4/salmon4.htm
      Rob