End-February snow survey

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2012
      Preliminary reports of the end-February snow survey are starting to come out, though some of these in-the-field measurements are still in process.  (John Dittli may be making some of them.)

      Cal DWR Press release here - under 26% of March 1 normal in the Central Sierra (electronic reading - snow survey not complete there yet)

      Snow plot even more depressing.  See esp the Central Sierra section, where we hike

      But, then again, if we don't have a March Miracle, we will have a longer hiking season, easier stream crossings, and easy crossings of the passes.  Maybe fewer mosquitoes.

      Extra opportunities of a dry year (others can chip in here!!)

      Warm Lake which requires an usually-difficult river crossing off the JMT just to the West on Muir Trail Ranch.  Great swimming.  Hot springs there also but they can get pretty muddy when they see a lot of use.

      Devil's Washbowl, which also requires a off-JMT crossing that can be hard in wet years.