Re: [John Muir Trail] Digest Number 551

  • Ross Gammill
    Message 1 of 16 , May 13, 2008
      Regarding snowmelt, this is supposedly the driest spring in 150 years. So creeks may not be too bad. A quick look at postholer.com shows that the current snowpack on the JMT is well below average.

      I'm still trying to decide when to go. Would love to leave in late June, but I'm worried about all the bugs. Is mid-late july better mosquito-wise?

      -Ross

      johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      John Muir Trail - A resource for JMT hikers
      Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)
      1a.
      Re: Southbound JMT leaving 6/21 From: onkelb0b
      1b.
      Re: Southbound JMT leaving 6/21 From: Loc Nguyen
      2a.
      Re: Southbound July 25 From: Bob
      View All Topics | Create New Topic
      Messages
      1a.
      Re: Southbound JMT leaving 6/21 Posted by: "onkelb0b" onkelbob@... onkelb0b Mon May 12, 2008 8:32 pm (PDT) Although I would love to join, I have a thesis to finish and a trip
      planned for 1 Aug (I hope to have my thesis done by that time.)

      However, the reason I write is that you should be prepared for some
      interesting stretches of trail. Your dates are quite early in the
      season and you will likely encounter some snow on the high passes.
      When I crossed Forester and Colby Passes on a loop in SEKI about the
      same time frame (My journal reads that I started 29 Jun 03) I
      encountered beaucoup snow on Forester and Colby (the latter will not
      be on your itinerary. So you should be prepared for snow on Muir,
      Mather, Pinchot, and Glen Passes.

      Furthermore, Evolution Creek, about 4 miles up from Goddard Canyon
      bridge is a PITA in August, I wouldn't want to see it in June. Expect
      waist deep cold water. Fortunately it's never really swift. Bear Creek
      (between Bear rdige and Selden Pass) may also present difficulties as
      could S. Fork Kings river. (Btwn Mather and Pinchot Passes) The latter
      usually has a log or fallen snag over it.

      Hell hath no fury like early season mozzies. They will be out in force
      and evenings will not be cold enough to bring their numbers under
      control. Bug repellent is a must, a bug net and other screen highly
      recommended. Sucks to attempt to eat while fighting off the bastards.

      Is your pace indicative that you've taken those obstacles into
      account? I hiked the JMT in 96, 00, & 04 and usually averaged 15-18
      miles a day. Food becomes a problem towards the end, unless you have a
      re-supply at in Kings Canyon NP.

      Happy trails.
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "song95139" <song95139@...> wrote:

      > Looking for hiking buddies to hike the JMT departing Happy Isle on
      > 6/21. I plan to do 10-12 miles per day have three weeks to enjoy the
      > high sierras. Send me an email as I have a couple of spots in my
      permit.

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (3)

      1b.
      Re: Southbound JMT leaving 6/21 Posted by: "Loc Nguyen" lochnguyen@... lochn82 Mon May 12, 2008 10:09 pm (PDT) As far as snow goes, how are the SEKI passes the 2nd weekend of July?
      I plan to start on 7/9 or 7/10 and hope winter gear isn't necessary.
      Can I assume the water levels will be knee to waist high in mid july
      too?

      Thanks,

      Loc

      On May 12, 2008, at 8:32 PM, onkelb0b wrote:

      > Although I would love to join, I have a thesis to finish and a trip
      > planned for 1 Aug (I hope to have my thesis done by that time.)
      >
      > However, the reason I write is that you should be prepared for some
      > interesting stretches of trail. Your dates are quite early in the
      > season and you will likely encounter some snow on the high passes.
      > When I crossed Forester and Colby Passes on a loop in SEKI about the
      > same time frame (My journal reads that I started 29 Jun 03) I
      > encountered beaucoup snow on Forester and Colby (the latter will not
      > be on your itinerary. So you should be prepared for snow on Muir,
      > Mather, Pinchot, and Glen Passes.
      >
      > Furthermore, Evolution Creek, about 4 miles up from Goddard Canyon
      > bridge is a PITA in August, I wouldn't want to see it in June. Expect
      > waist deep cold water. Fortunately it's never really swift. Bear Creek
      > (between Bear rdige and Selden Pass) may also present difficulties as
      > could S. Fork Kings river. (Btwn Mather and Pinchot Passes) The latter
      > usually has a log or fallen snag over it.
      >
      > Hell hath no fury like early season mozzies. They will be out in force
      > and evenings will not be cold enough to bring their numbers under
      > control. Bug repellent is a must, a bug net and other screen highly
      > recommended. Sucks to attempt to eat while fighting off the bastards.
      >
      > Is your pace indicative that you've taken those obstacles into
      > account? I hiked the JMT in 96, 00, & 04 and usually averaged 15-18
      > miles a day. Food becomes a problem towards the end, unless you have a
      > re-supply at in Kings Canyon NP.
      >
      > Happy trails.
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "song95139" <song95139@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Looking for hiking buddies to hike the JMT departing Happy Isle on
      > > 6/21. I plan to do 10-12 miles per day have three weeks to enjoy the
      > > high sierras. Send me an email as I have a couple of spots in my
      > permit.

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (3)

      2a.
      Re: Southbound July 25 Posted by: "Bob" rrichey@... lostimnot Mon May 12, 2008 9:08 pm (PDT)
      Maybe I'll see you folks on the trail. I'll be leaving YV southbound
      on 7/26. Plan on 13-17 miles per day.

      Bob R

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

      > Darlene,
      >
      > Nice to see your post!
      >
      > You forgot to mention that you like to start hiking before sun up,
      > in fact before all the stars have gone away and are in bed by late
      > afternoon. Yes, you are 52 but you hike like a 29 year old.
      >
      > BTW, I think you best luxury item is you I-bra.
      >
      > See ya in 12 weeks!!!!!
      >
      > Paul
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darlene Scott"
      > <yountvlmom@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all:
      > >
      > > I will be leaving Tuolomne Meadows on July 25 with Paul
      (eaglepdub)
      > and
      > > others and look forward to running into those that will be out on
      > the
      > > trail at that time. We are planning 15 days to Whitney Portal
      > with
      > > resupply at Reds Meadow, VVR and MTR. I've been enjoying all the
      > banter
      > > on equipment, maps, resuppling, food, etc. I'm 52 and doing the
      > trail
      > > for the second time. I travel as light as I can with few luxury
      > > items. A third pair of socks is my biggest luxury! I take that
      > back.
      > > I have a Solio solar powered battery recharger and have found
      that
      > > makes me quite popular on the trail!
      > >
      > > Darlene
      > > aka Scout

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (3)

      Recent Activity

      18
      New Members

      1
      New Files

      Visit Your Group
      Y! Sports for TV
      Access it for free
      Get Fantasy Sports
      stats on your TV.

      How-To Zone
      on Yahoo! Groups
      Find garden, home
      & auto groups.

      Yahoo! Groups
      Latest product news
      Join Mod. Central
      stay connected.

      Need to Reply?

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 16 , May 13, 2008
        --- Ross Gammill <rossgammill@...> wrote:

        ... but I'm worried about all the
        > bugs. Is mid-late july better mosquito-wise?
        >
        > -Ross

        Nope. They'll eat you alive in July just as quick as
        they would in June.

        Thomas

        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • Steve Schauer
        Message 3 of 16 , May 13, 2008
          We have not seen a single mosquito in August.
          One July we had to bail from our plans because of the
          swarms of mosquitos from TM to Red's Meadow. There was
          not a breath of wind, it was very warm, and there was
          water everywhere. Now we just plan to go in August. We
          are taking a chance this week to go to Merced Lake in
          Yosemite, hoping to go before the mosquito hatch. Wish
          us luck!
          Probably some of it depends on the year-so we'll give
          our report when we get back from yosemite. We will be
          watching the posts re the bugs.
          Claire
          --- thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

          > --- Ross Gammill <rossgammill@...> wrote:
          >
          > ... but I'm worried about all the
          > > bugs. Is mid-late july better mosquito-wise?
          > >
          > > -Ross
          >

          > Nope. They'll eat you alive in July just as quick
          > as
          > they would in June.
          >
          > Thomas
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Thomas
          >
          > Thomas Taylor
          > tgtaylor7@...
          > http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

        • onkelb0b
          Message 4 of 16 , May 13, 2008
            FWIW, I keep a fairly detailed journal. My 3 JMT hikes were in 96, 00,
            and 04; (all in August) interspersed with HST in 98 & 01, (July and
            September respectively) and other assorted climbs and hikes. (Usually
            June and July.)
            Trips in June and July have many entries complaining of the mozzies. I
            also record morning and evening temperatures and noted that they
            rarely dipped below 40 F. OTOH, in August I read temperatures in the
            teens and 20's at Rae Lakes (08/24/04) and Hitchcock Lake, (08/26/04)
            and 30's at Evolution and Silver Lake. Mind you, the last trip was
            rain interrupted by periods of sun. (Afternoon T-storms were annoying
            to say the least.)
            August is different. There are places with godawful mozzie swarms;
            Grouse Meadow and Woods Creek, two endpoints of one tough day were
            noted for being infested, but for the most part, I recorded fewer
            notes about never to stay someplace again. Indeed, on that longest day
            I had brunch in Upper Basin and nary a note in the journal other than
            how enjoyable it is. However, when I camped there in early July, (05)
            I wrote that could see my shadow and the shadow of the swarm
            surrounding my head.
            It's truly strange sometimes. The confluence of Palisade Creek and
            Middle Fork Kings river is better camping than Grouse Meadow, the
            former being about 1/2 hour south of the latter. Upper Paradise, about
            6 miles west of Woods Creek (off the JMT but towards my resupply in
            Cedar Grove) is indeed paradise for its lack of mosquitoes. Heck, even
            VVR has fewer mosquitoes than Mono Creek, which simply doesn't appear
            to add up.
          • Ross Gammill
            Message 5 of 16 , May 14, 2008
              Claire,
              Please let the group know about conditions when you return for Yosemite. I'm thinking about heading there in the next weekend or two. Also, when does the big mosquito hatch usually happen?

              Thanks!
              -Ross

              mosquitos Posted by: "Steve Schauer" clairehiker@... clairehiker Tue May 13, 2008 12:58 pm (PDT) We have not seen a single mosquito in August.

              Message 6 of 16 , May 14, 2008
                I was there last weekend. The mosquito's were out but
                not biting yet.

                Thomas

                --- Ross Gammill <rossgammill@...> wrote:

                > Claire,
                > Please let the group know about conditions when
                > you return for Yosemite. I'm thinking about heading
                > there in the next weekend or two. Also, when does
                > the big mosquito hatch usually happen?
                >
                > Thanks!
                > -Ross
                >

                > mosquitos Posted by: "Steve Schauer"
                > clairehiker@... clairehiker Tue May
                > 13, 2008 12:58 pm (PDT) We have not seen a single
                > mosquito in August.
                > One July we had to bail from our plans because of
                > the
                > swarms of mosquitos from TM to Red's Meadow. There
                > was
                > not a breath of wind, it was very warm, and there
                > was
                > water everywhere. Now we just plan to go in August.
                > We
                > are taking a chance this week to go to Merced Lake
                > in
                > Yosemite, hoping to go before the mosquito hatch.
                > Wish
                > us luck!
                > Probably some of it depends on the year-so we'll
                > give
                > our report when we get back from yosemite. We will
                > be
                > watching the posts re the bugs.
                > Claire

                > removed]

              • Steve Schauer
                Message 7 of 16 , May 14, 2008
                  I'll be back next Thursday, so I'll post then.
                  Claire
                  --- Ross Gammill <rossgammill@...> wrote:

                  > Claire,
                  > Please let the group know about conditions when
                  > you return for Yosemite. I'm thinking about heading
                  > there in the next weekend or two. Also, when does
                  > the big mosquito hatch usually happen?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > -Ross
                  >

                  > mosquitos Posted by: "Steve Schauer"
                  > clairehiker@... clairehiker Tue May
                  > 13, 2008 12:58 pm (PDT) We have not seen a single
                  > mosquito in August.
                  > One July we had to bail from our plans because of
                  > the
                  > swarms of mosquitos from TM to Red's Meadow. There
                  > was
                  > not a breath of wind, it was very warm, and there
                  > was
                  > water everywhere. Now we just plan to go in August.
                  > We
                  > are taking a chance this week to go to Merced Lake
                  > in
                  > Yosemite, hoping to go before the mosquito hatch.
                  > Wish
                  > us luck!
                  > Probably some of it depends on the year-so we'll
                  > give
                  > our report when we get back from yosemite. We will
                  > be
                  > watching the posts re the bugs.
                  > Claire

                  > removed]

                • acushack
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 15, 2013
                    If anyone has been on the JMT lately, I'd like to hear more of a description of just how buggy it is? Was Deet sufficient to repel the mosquitos? Did you use insect repellent clothing? Were you driven into your tent at night?

                    Any insight would be helpful.

                    Thanks,
                    Joyce
                  • Larry Beck
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 16, 2013
                      Joyce,

                      I've been from Piute Pass to Bishop Pass July 4-7. There were mosquitoes in some areas but deet (REI Jungle Juice) seemed to handle it nicely. I was at Kearsarge Lakes this past weekend and I did not see on mosquito but it was kind of breezy in the early evening when you'd expect them and it dropped into the high 30's overnight as evidenced by a little frost forming on my pack cover.

                      In general though, I think this year is turning out like last year in terms of mosquitoes... enough to be a nuisance in some areas but not a big problem.

                      Larry

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 16, 2013
                        Thanks, Larry. That was helpful.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Larry Beck <becklaurence@...> wrote:

                        > Joyce,
                        >
                        > I've been from Piute Pass to Bishop Pass July 4-7. There were mosquitoes in some areas but deet (REI Jungle Juice) seemed to handle it nicely. I was at Kearsarge Lakes this past weekend and I did not see on mosquito but it was kind of breezy in the early evening when you'd expect them and it dropped into the high 30's overnight as evidenced by a little frost forming on my pack cover.
                        >
                        > In general though, I think this year is turning out like last year in terms of mosquitoes... enough to be a nuisance in some areas but not a big problem.
                        >
                        > Larry
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Joe MacLeish
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 16, 2013

                          Heading out today from Cedar Grove in Sequoia to Bishop Pass on the SHR.  To keep it relevant part of the way (over Mather Pass?) is on the JMT.  I will be wearing my John Muir button on my hat for anybody who really gets lost and passes trails with us.

                          Joe

                        • mjboucher2
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 16, 2013
                            "... I will be wearing my John Muir button on my hat for anybody who really gets lost and passes trails with us."

                            You make it sound like if they're lost, they'll find you, b/c YOU are lost.

                            lol :)
                          • Donna Johnson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 21, 2015
                              I am planning on a first time hike of the JMT with a friend who is terrified of the mosquitos. As a hiker in the Colorado Rockies, this was never an overwhelming problem. She was swarmed by them while visiting Alaska. We are picking a date and she wants to wait until mosquitos are history and I am worried about the cold. Our tentative date is August 21. Are mosquitos a big problem any time of the year on the trail? Donna
                            • Jill Richardson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 21, 2015
                                Not that late in the season. I went starting in early July last year. There were a few bad spots but not many. Tully Hole, Sunrise Creek, between MTR and Marie Lake. That was about it.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 21, 2015
                                  Donna --

                                  Given your dates, mosquitoes should be a modest issue at worst. Camping relatively high and not close to water will further reduce the problem. Note that if you get to a lovely lake with a nice breeze in the late afternoon the breeze will almost always keep the mosquitoes away in August. As the sun starts to go down, however, the breeze will weaken and skeeters may appear. (The wind will pick up later in the evening)

                                  If you are worried about skeeters, consider eating dinner at a lake or near a stream but move away from water to sleep. Campsites tend to congregate near water, but there are lovely dry campsites along the entire trail if you look for them.

                                  On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 5:30 AM, Donna Johnson donnarusho@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  I am planning on a first time hike of the JMT with a friend who is terrified of the mosquitos. As a hiker in the Colorado Rockies, this was never an overwhelming problem. She was swarmed by them while visiting Alaska. We are picking a date and she wants to wait until mosquitos are history and I am worried about the cold. Our tentative date is August 21. Are mosquitos a big problem any time of the year on the trail? Donna

                                • Peter Hirst
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 21, 2015
                                    Mosquitos atre normally long gone by Aug 21.  I last went Aug 5, and had zero mozzies.