Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Independence Resupply

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2008
      Also, there is a pack station at the trailhead.
      Instead of driving/hitching to Independence, you might
      want to check and see if they will hold it for you for
      a fee.

      Thomas

    • Bob Bankhead
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2008
        Tom -

        Please post what you discover re: the Mount Williamson Motel, or any other accomodations/transportation.

        The Onion Valley pack station WILL hold packages for you. Hot showers and overnight camping are also available for a small fee. There's a second pack station further north at Pine Creek. Both are run by Sequoia Kings Pack Trains. Contact Ms. Dee Berner at pinecreekps@... or call 760-387-2627. Website is http://horse-pack-trips.gordonsguide.com/sequoia/index.cfm They will also meet you along the trail at selected spots and bring you your re-supply, but it's quite expensive for a solo; better if you're a group and split the fee.

        Wandering Bob

      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2008
          Bob,

          I never stayed overnight in Independence but it is a
          popular resupply for those doing the PCT as the
          Kearsarge trailhead is close to the trail. You have
          to wait on rides but it's still a lot easier than
          Bishop, Piute, etc.

          I thought that the Pack station would hold packages
          and it's good to hear that it does. Never thought
          about the showers which would be a good idea if one is
          planning to terminate their trip there.

          Thomas