Re: Independence Resupply

  • monkeysocks70
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2008
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer
      <clairehiker@...> wrote:

      > You might check with the Mt. Williamson Motel in
      > Independence. They will do a hiker shuttle for their
      > guests, and it was a very comfortable, clean motel,
      > with a hearty breakfast included.. Last year we had
      > friends come over and meet us at Kearsarge Lakes,
      > which was very noble of them.
      > When are you passing through that area? We will be
      > camping at Onion Valley in August.
      > --- monkeysocks70 <scottbednarz@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I would be grateful to hear of some experiences of a
      > > resupply
      > > hike/layover in Independence via Kearsage Pass/Onion
      > > Valley
      > > Trailhead. Some specific help is needed about the
      > > options for
      > > reliable transportation from the trailhead to town.
      > > I am having some
      > > trouble finding a reputable transportation company,
      > > and am not yet
      > > convinced about the consistency of a hitch for two
      > > of us. Any help is
      > > appreciated.
      > >
      > >Thanks Steve, Ive heard a number of positive comments on Mt.
      Williamson Hotel; I plan on inquiring tonight about a reservation
      and transportation questions. I plan on arriving in Independence
      around September 12th of this year.

      Scott

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2008
        Also, there is a pack station at the trailhead.
        Instead of driving/hitching to Independence, you might
        want to check and see if they will hold it for you for
        a fee.

        Thomas

      • Bob Bankhead
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2008
          Tom -

          Please post what you discover re: the Mount Williamson Motel, or any other accomodations/transportation.

          The Onion Valley pack station WILL hold packages for you. Hot showers and overnight camping are also available for a small fee. There's a second pack station further north at Pine Creek. Both are run by Sequoia Kings Pack Trains. Contact Ms. Dee Berner at pinecreekps@... or call 760-387-2627. Website is http://horse-pack-trips.gordonsguide.com/sequoia/index.cfm They will also meet you along the trail at selected spots and bring you your re-supply, but it's quite expensive for a solo; better if you're a group and split the fee.

          Wandering Bob

        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2008
            Bob,

            I never stayed overnight in Independence but it is a
            popular resupply for those doing the PCT as the
            Kearsarge trailhead is close to the trail. You have
            to wait on rides but it's still a lot easier than
            Bishop, Piute, etc.

            I thought that the Pack station would hold packages
            and it's good to hear that it does. Never thought
            about the showers which would be a good idea if one is
            planning to terminate their trip there.

            Thomas