Independence Resupply

  • monkeysocks70
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2008
      I would be grateful to hear of some experiences of a resupply
      hike/layover in Independence via Kearsage Pass/Onion Valley
      Trailhead. Some specific help is needed about the options for
      reliable transportation from the trailhead to town. I am having some
      trouble finding a reputable transportation company, and am not yet
      convinced about the consistency of a hitch for two of us. Any help is
      appreciated.
    • Steve Schauer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2008
        You might check with the Mt. Williamson Motel in
        Independence. They will do a hiker shuttle for their
        guests, and it was a very comfortable, clean motel,
        with a hearty breakfast included.. Last year we had
        friends come over and meet us at Kearsarge Lakes,
        which was very noble of them.
        When are you passing through that area? We will be
        camping at Onion Valley in August.
        --- monkeysocks70 <scottbednarz@...> wrote:

        > I would be grateful to hear of some experiences of a
        > resupply
        > hike/layover in Independence via Kearsage Pass/Onion
        > Valley
        > Trailhead. Some specific help is needed about the
        > options for
        > reliable transportation from the trailhead to town.
        > I am having some
        > trouble finding a reputable transportation company,
        > and am not yet
        > convinced about the consistency of a hitch for two
        > of us. Any help is
        > appreciated.

      • sim ong
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2008
          I will be in independence area after 7/4.

          --- Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...> wrote:

          > You might check with the Mt. Williamson Motel in
          > Independence. They will do a hiker shuttle for their
          > guests, and it was a very comfortable, clean motel,
          > with a hearty breakfast included.. Last year we had
          > friends come over and meet us at Kearsarge Lakes,
          > which was very noble of them.
          > When are you passing through that area? We will be
          > camping at Onion Valley in August.
          > --- monkeysocks70 <scottbednarz@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I would be grateful to hear of some experiences of
          > > resupply
          > > hike/layover in Independence via Kearsage
          > Pass/Onion
          > > Valley
          > > Trailhead. Some specific help is needed about the
          > > options for
          > > reliable transportation from the trailhead to
          > town.
          > > I am having some
          > > trouble finding a reputable transportation
          > company,
          > > and am not yet
          > > convinced about the consistency of a hitch for two
          > > of us. Any help is
          > > appreciated.

        • monkeysocks70
          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2008
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer
            <clairehiker@...> wrote:

            > You might check with the Mt. Williamson Motel in
            > Independence. They will do a hiker shuttle for their
            > guests, and it was a very comfortable, clean motel,
            > with a hearty breakfast included.. Last year we had
            > friends come over and meet us at Kearsarge Lakes,
            > which was very noble of them.
            > When are you passing through that area? We will be
            > camping at Onion Valley in August.
            > --- monkeysocks70 <scottbednarz@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I would be grateful to hear of some experiences of a
            > > resupply
            > > hike/layover in Independence via Kearsage Pass/Onion
            > > Valley
            > > Trailhead. Some specific help is needed about the
            > > options for
            > > reliable transportation from the trailhead to town.
            > > I am having some
            > > trouble finding a reputable transportation company,
            > > and am not yet
            > > convinced about the consistency of a hitch for two
            > > of us. Any help is
            > > appreciated.
            > >
            > >Thanks Steve, Ive heard a number of positive comments on Mt.
            Williamson Hotel; I plan on inquiring tonight about a reservation
            and transportation questions. I plan on arriving in Independence
            around September 12th of this year.

            Scott

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 7 , May 8, 2008
              Also, there is a pack station at the trailhead.
              Instead of driving/hitching to Independence, you might
              want to check and see if they will hold it for you for
              a fee.

              Thomas

            • Bob Bankhead
              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2008
                Tom -

                Please post what you discover re: the Mount Williamson Motel, or any other accomodations/transportation.

                The Onion Valley pack station WILL hold packages for you. Hot showers and overnight camping are also available for a small fee. There's a second pack station further north at Pine Creek. Both are run by Sequoia Kings Pack Trains. Contact Ms. Dee Berner at pinecreekps@... or call 760-387-2627. Website is http://horse-pack-trips.gordonsguide.com/sequoia/index.cfm They will also meet you along the trail at selected spots and bring you your re-supply, but it's quite expensive for a solo; better if you're a group and split the fee.

                Wandering Bob

              • thomas taylor
                Message 7 of 7 , May 8, 2008
                  Bob,

                  I never stayed overnight in Independence but it is a
                  popular resupply for those doing the PCT as the
                  Kearsarge trailhead is close to the trail. You have
                  to wait on rides but it's still a lot easier than
                  Bishop, Piute, etc.

                  I thought that the Pack station would hold packages
                  and it's good to hear that it does. Never thought
                  about the showers which would be a good idea if one is
                  planning to terminate their trip there.

                  Thomas