RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Does everyone treat their water on the JMT?

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2008
      Thank you for the ideas! B

      _____

      From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of rambler4466
      Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 9:52 AM
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Does everyone treat their water on the JMT?

      Lighter weight options to pump filter systems are the Steri Pen Adventure
      model, or Aqua
      Mira Drops. Use a piece of no-seum netting to filter out visible "floaties".
      To get water
      out of a small source use a pliable plate like the Orikaso models or others
      and pour the
      water into a cooking pot until you have enough to filter with your pump.
      Using a gravity
      filter as found at ULA Equipment gives you another pliable bag. Gravity
      pulls the water
      through the filter instead of a pump.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>

      yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@
      Message 2 of 13 , May 9, 2008
        I felt pretty confident not treating water. I was doing the JMT in early
        June so there were very few people out there. Pack animals were not out
        either.

        I got my water upstream from camp sites and crossings. I never had any
        problems.

        I did this because of I was solo and my pack weight was really important.
        Also I've camped in the Sierras all of my life. I grew up in the Sierras and
        have never known anyone up there to get Giardia or anything else that was
        clearly traceable to water. My belief is that people get sick from bad camp
        hygiene more often than water.

        I did bring Aquamira tablets just in case.

        On weekend trips I do bring a filter. I would probably bring one if I was
        travelling in a group as the weight issue is diminished and the chance for
        infection is a bit higher.

        Message 3 of 13 , May 9, 2008
          I use the same method, have for years. My friend got the wrath of the
          ameoba one time and that was on the S. Fork Kern in October. Very
          little water and what was available was very small and slow moving the
          first cuple of days. I was unaffected.