Re: Does everyone treat their water on the JMT?

  • rambler4466
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2008
      Lighter weight options to pump filter systems are the Steri Pen Adventure model, or Aqua
      Mira Drops. Use a piece of no-seum netting to filter out visible "floaties". To get water
      out of a small source use a pliable plate like the Orikaso models or others and pour the
      water into a cooking pot until you have enough to filter with your pump. Using a gravity
      filter as found at ULA Equipment gives you another pliable bag. Gravity pulls the water
      through the filter instead of a pump.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

      > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting water
      > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but it's not
      > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
      > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
      > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
      >
      > _____

    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6, 2008
        Thank you for the ideas! B

        _____

        Lighter weight options to pump filter systems are the Steri Pen Adventure
        model, or Aqua
        Mira Drops. Use a piece of no-seum netting to filter out visible "floaties".
        To get water
        out of a small source use a pliable plate like the Orikaso models or others
        and pour the
        water into a cooking pot until you have enough to filter with your pump.
        Using a gravity
        filter as found at ULA Equipment gives you another pliable bag. Gravity
        pulls the water
        through the filter instead of a pump.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

        > Hi Kevin - The Miox looks interesting. How do you deal with getting water
        > from a very small source, where a filter hose can suck it up but it's not
        > enough to get into a bottle? Also how do you deal with water that looks
        > rather grubby! Thanks, Barbara (currently using a Sweetwater filter at
        > 11oz, and wanting to go lighter).
        >
        > _____
        >
        > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@
        > We always filter water with the MSR pump. Why take a
        > chance? But we have met people who drink out of the
        > streams, and they feel confident about their decision.
        > Having crossed a stream where we saw horses peeing in
        > it (and you know they pee about a gallon!) we were
        > really convinced to filter.
        > Claire
        > --- Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin%40kevinaston.com> com>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > I use a Miox
        > > http://www.miox <http://www.miox
        <http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/> com/products/category/C12/>
        > com/products/category/C12/ My Hiking
        > > buddy uses a pump. I like the Miox as it is 10 times
        > > faster to get the
        > > water, and its lighter. I'm not willing to take the
        > > chance that it
        > > will be me that gets sick or my friend.
        > > Happy planning
        > > Kevin Aston
        > > www.kevinaston.com
        > >

        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
        > yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
        > > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I just drink it, alwys have. I do use a bit of
        > > care trying to drink
        > > > upstream of the trail, etc. Testing has found
        > > very little giardia in
        > > > the Sierra. the only time anybody I know had
        > > trouble was in the S.
        > > > Fork Kern in the Fall. My friend got it I didn't.
        > >

        > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
        > yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis"

        > > water or are the
        > > creeks
        > > thru-hike and was
        > > their water.

        > Checked by AVG.
        > 1:29 PM

        Internal Virus Database is out of date.
        Checked by AVG.
        1:29 PM

      • Fred Sharples
        Message 3 of 13 , May 9, 2008
          I felt pretty confident not treating water. I was doing the JMT in early
          June so there were very few people out there. Pack animals were not out
          either.

          I got my water upstream from camp sites and crossings. I never had any
          problems.

          I did this because of I was solo and my pack weight was really important.
          Also I've camped in the Sierras all of my life. I grew up in the Sierras and
          have never known anyone up there to get Giardia or anything else that was
          clearly traceable to water. My belief is that people get sick from bad camp
          hygiene more often than water.

          I did bring Aquamira tablets just in case.

          On weekend trips I do bring a filter. I would probably bring one if I was
          travelling in a group as the weight issue is diminished and the chance for
          infection is a bit higher.

          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2008
            I use the same method, have for years. My friend got the wrath of the
            ameoba one time and that was on the S. Fork Kern in October. Very
            little water and what was available was very small and slow moving the
            first cuple of days. I was unaffected.